1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop problem after installing larger memory sticks

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mort81, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

hi gents,

I've got a little dilemma. I went to upgrade my moms acer 5315 laptop with more memory, from 2 x 512mb samsung DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) to 2 x 1gb crucial DDR2 667 (PC2 5300). now it won't boot up. nothing on the screen now period. power led lights and dvd tray will open but screen is dead. no error beeps. I reintalled the original memory and same problem. it has vista home premium for OS. any suggestions? TIA.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

send laptop back under warranty replacement & don't tell them about new ram. was new ram compatible with laptop?

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

that's a good question. I assumed it was because it's the same memory tiger direct recommended as an upgrade with the laptop purchase.

it should work ok don't ya think since I replaced both sticks and it is the same speed memory that came in it.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to laptops (as you know, I can build high performance desktops all day) but upgrading memory should be a breeze in most any case. this has thrown me for a loop. thanks for the suggestions ddp.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no problem.

5. wcampbell

wcampbell Member

check the cmos battery.