AfterDawn Forums

PS3 Jig Files Leaked

This discussion thread has 19 messages.

Yesterday, a hacker released the first PS3 Jig Setup Files. His name is unknown as he wishes his name not be spread around the internet because the files are, of course, illegal.

Here is a little something I took from ps3hax.net:

Quote:

Taken from ps3hax.net

With all the service mode talk, and attempts how to get the PS3 into this mode, a unnamed hacker recently leaked the PS3 JIG Setup files.

he setup folder is actually pretty useless without the proper related software but nevertheless its something new and gives us another opportunity to better understand the PS3.

Break down of what each file is:
Originally Posted by http://www.ps3news.com/PS3Dev/playstatio...up-files-leaked

Lv2diag.self: crashes on a Debug console, likely used for lv2 diagnostics.

PS3UPDAT.PUP: a very tiny updater PUP, enough for just a 'base' system. It doesn't run on any system the resident PS3 Devs currently have access to.

UPDATER_LOG.TXT: simply a service mode updater log.

Below is a example of a JIG-OS Updater process log file, created by installing a special PUP file with service tools (used by Sony Repair stations).

manufacturing updating start

PackageName = /dev_usb000/PS3UPDAT.PUP
settle polling interval success
vflash is disabled...
boot from nand flash...
creating flash regions...
create storage region: (region id = 2)
format partition: (region_id = 2, CELL_FS_IOS:BUILTIN_FLSH1, CELL_FS_FAT)
create storage region: (region id = 3)
format partition: (region_id = 3, CELL_FS_IOS:BUILTIN_FLSH2, CELL_FS_FAT)
create storage region: (region id = 4)
format partition: (region_id = 4, CELL_FS_IOS:BUILTIN_FLSH3, CELL_FS_FAT)
create storage region: (region id = 5)
create storage region: (region id = 6)
Initializing
taking a while...
start Updating Proccess
Initialize elapsed time = 6 msec
check UPL
Check UPL elapsed time = 29 msec
check Package Size
get package size elapsed time = 8 msec
start Updating Package
Update packages num = 3
Update packages total size = 5188208
Update Package Revoke list
read package revoke list package (608 bytes) elapsed = 2 msec
update package revoke list elapsed = 321 msec
Update Package Revoke list done(0x8002f000)
Update Core OS Package
read core os package (5186896 bytes) elapsed = 358 msec
update core os package elapsed = 1883 msec
Update Core OS Package done(0x8002f000)
Update VSH Package
Update VSH Package done(0x8002f000)
Bul-ray Disc Player Revoke
Bul-ray Disc Player Revoke done(0x8002f000)
Update Program Revoke list
read program revoke list package (704 bytes) elapsed = 3 msec
update program revoke list elapsed = 319 msec
Update Program Revoke list done(0x8002f000)
move_2block_status_into_the_region(): region id = 3
rewrite_region() region id = 0x3, start_lba = 0x0, end_lba = 0x4000
rewrite region done (ret = 0x8002f000)
rewrite region elapsed time = 1218 msec
touch_1st_sector_in_block() region id = 0x3, start_lba = 0x0, end_lba = 0x4000
touch_1st_sector() done (ret = 0x8002f000)
touch_1st_sector() elapsed time = 1324 msec
rewrite_region() region id = 0x3, start_lba = 0x0, end_lba = 0x4000
rewrite region done (ret = 0x8002f000)
rewrite region elapsed time = 1219 msec
Update BD firmware
Update BD firmware done(0x8002f000)
Update Multi-Card controller firmware
Update Multi-Card controller firmware done(0x8002f000)
Update BlueTooth firmware
Update BlueTooth firmware done(0x8002f000)
Update System controller firmware
Update System controller firmware done(0x8002f000)
update package elapsed time = 6667 msec
post processiong...
post processiong done
cleanup update stat unlike other websites, we will not be providing a download link to them.us (ret = 0)
/dev_flash/vsh/etc/version.txt not found.
manufacturing updating SUCCESS(0x8002f000)
set product mode (ret = 0)
Total Elapsed time = 8288 msec

Like I said, the files are illegal so no download link will be given at this point. Just thought I'd share with you guys. =)

P.S.: Sorry for the long post.. Just trying to fit all the details in there.

▼▼ This topic has 18 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Sorry for my superior intelligence (sarcasm) but what does any of this mean?...I can debug my own system?
Uh, quick question for the uninformed: What are jig files?
I don't know what any of that means.....but I wonder if the Blu-Ray revoke may come in handy down the road as DRM becomes more invasive.
It's kinda like in the PSP scene with the whole pandora jig kick battery. Sony uses these files, along with a particular, unknown software, whenever your PS3 gets semi-bricked, whatever. It basically puts it into service mode.

Obtaining these files are a step in the right direction, however, as stated above, they are pretty much useless right now as we don't have access to the software Sony uses with these files.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Jan 2009 @ 18:50

Originally posted by Ce_Yu_Pe:
It's kinda like in the PSP scene with the whole pandora jig kick battery. Sony uses these files, along with a particular, unknown software, whenever your PS3 gets semi-bricked, whatever. It basically puts it into service mode.

Obtaining these files are a step in the right direction, however, as stated above, they are pretty much useless right now as we don't have access to the software Sony uses with these files.
Exactly. But good info nonetheless.

By the way, I don't mean to get off topic, but have you guys heard of that Italian guy and his team that are working on some PS3 exploit or something?

Seen it Here

I have a theory (small one I might add) that if sales get real poor maybe $ony's dev team may leak source codes to hack there own system to stimulate sales growth.

I really do hope it gets hacked (not just for backups) to see the full potential of the PS3.
By the way, I don't mean to get off topic, but have you guys heard of that Italian guy and his team that are working on some PS3 exploit or something?

Seen it Here
Yeah I ran into it earlier, essentially hes using the backup utility to find out which directories are accessed in its process and hoping to get past the hypervisor through there.

imo its too obvious of a route for Sony not to have seen coming.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jan 2009 @ 18:43

Originally posted by geestar20:
I have a theory (small one I might add) that if sales get real poor maybe $ony's dev team may leak source codes to hack there own system to stimulate sales growth.

I really do hope it gets hacked (not just for backups) to see the full potential of the PS3.
They only loose money on consoles sold, they only make money off the games. So selling more consoles by kick starting the ps3 to be hacked is doubly bad for Sony. And I highly doubt they're going to give away the unhackable title like that.

Originally posted by canuckerz:
Originally posted by geestar20:

They only loose money on consoles sold, they only make money off the games. So selling more consoles by kick starting the ps3 to be hacked is doubly bad for Sony. And I highly doubt they're going to give away the unhackable title like that.
There's got to be at least 1 disgruntled employee in the lot :P
Interesting...I was going to post yesterday but decided I had enough PC for the day but I remembered just now. I hope it leads somewhere, though I am quite surprised that I am a bit "out of the loop" (by only a day or so though ;) np though) but I liken that to the past promises and security "issues" from that and the other site. But in any case, I wish good luck to those who are diligently trying to release something.

You say Sony uses an unknown software, is the software remotely accessible? is it in the ps3 itself or somewhere secret deep in Sony HQ?
Highly doubt it's in the PS3 itself..

More than likely it's located deep within the roots of Sony's computers, buried behind millions of firewalls, and locked with a combination of 1000 passwords and encryption keys.

Lol. Yeah, probably not that secured, but you get the idea. ;)

here is files, I have no idea how to use them

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7W30UAHE

[url=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7W30UAHE][/url]
Woah. How did you get these?

Anyways, thanks for the link though I'm not sure it's legal.. lol

But yeah, there is really nothing we can do with these files, but still a good find.

Oner with all do respect linking to ps3news is bad. That site is full of nothing but hackers, popups, ad, and occasionally trojans. I think I remember you posting something about one of the times they got hacked and were laughing at the administrator there. I recommend that site to no one.
Originally posted by Oner:
LOL! They where right on the link/page you provided!
Lol. My bad. Guess I overlooked them when I was posting. =)

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.