1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't capture video - Canon ZR950 to PC

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by lwilli37, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lwilli37

lwilli37 Member

Just got a Canon ZR950 and after researching extensively, exhausting Canon's supposed tech help as well as B&H's tech help...I am sending up a prayer here...

I have everything right from a hardware perspective (I think). I'm attempting to transfer with a 1394 cable. I'm transferring from the tape, not the SDHC card. I turn on the computer, plug in the firewire cable to the PC and the camera, then power on the camera to "play" mode.

I first attempted the video capture with Windows Movie maker (rookie here), and got exactly 3kb of data. Then nothing, the camera would continue to play but no video is being captured past those first 3kb.

Canon said basically that their hardware is fine and the problem is with my computer or software, click.

So, I got Cyberlink Power Director. Same scenario up to the point of capturing video...then Cyberlink spits out this message..."You cannot use the capture function because the iLink mode on the HDV machine is not identical to the recorded format on the tape."

Does anyone know what this means? iLink is the firewire cable, right? I don't know why Cyberlink recognized my camera as an "HDV machine"?? And I have looked through all the menus and the manual for the camera trying to find where I can change the recorded format on the tape, nothing.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I got the camera so I could edit the video and then make DVD's...the whole plan's shot unless I can get this figured out.

Thanks for reading!

2. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

1. Look for Windv (not Windvd). It is free and is the best to transfer from tape to pc.
    2. Turn everything off. Hook camera to PC. Turn on camera then turn on PC and use Windv.
    3. Dont use WMM or Powercrap.

Any more questions feel free to answer.

3. lwilli37

lwilli37 Member

Okay...I did as you said above and I'm still not having much luck. Windv captured 5 files ranging from 0 bytes to 250kb each, basically, stills with no audio. It did this over the course of about 1 minute. I tried multiple times with the same results.

I don't understand it?? Obviously, the camera and computer are communicating and *some* data is being transferred. I'm flummoxed.

Thanks for trying, if anyone has any ideas I'd much appreciate hearing what you have to say.

4. wrahn

wrahn Member

WinDV should have worked if your hardware is capable of capturing video. I've used it in the past with success.

Currently, I use a firewire connected between my computer and my camcorder and set the camcorder (Canon ZR 45) for "DV out" though the menu system. Check your camcorder guide to see if you have this function. I now use Pinnacle Studio 10 as my editing program and capture program. The only problem I had was it wouldn't work when I had my external hard drive connected to my other firewire connection. Once I removed the external drive the capture worked
    great.

5. kmac59

kmac59 Member

All,

I have the same problem as the original poster. Been using a Canon ZR 65 and ULead or Win Movie Maker, no problems. Just received a ZR 950 because Canon repair lost my 65.

The software finds the cam/source and when I click "start capture" starts but only a few frames. The camera continues to play but the counter on the software does not increase showing it is capturing. Sometimes if captures sporatic frames..

I updated my RAM to max, 4 and have deleted and transfered files so my HD is at <50%. Nothing works.

I borrowed my neighbors ZR 65 and put in my tape... works great.

I've also put the ZR 950 on other computers and the same happens.

Windows XP using firewire on a DELL D830.

Any help much appreciated. I'm going to try downloading this software you guys recommended.

Thanks,

Keith

6. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Turn off computer and camera. Hook firewire to camera then computer.
    Turn on camera. Turn on computer. See if this procedure works.

7. kmac59

kmac59 Member

PFloyd,

Gave that a try. Same thing.

I does recognize the camera and allow me to "start capture" however, when I start capture, the cam starts playing the recording but the counter on the any of the software (ULead & Windows Movie Maker) does not move off of zero.

When I connect up the ZR 65, works fine.

I'm going to call Canon next week and get customer support involved.

Will let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks,

Keith

8. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Try WinDV. (Not WinDVD). It's free and easy.

9. jekkl

jekkl Member

Hey kmac59/Keith, did you get an answer from tech support? I'm having EXACTLY the same problem as you and lwilli37 -- video transfer only results in only a few random frames. I'm using a 4/4-pin firewire to laptop (2GB RAM, 2GB CPU), same results with various video import software packages.

10. dperla

dperla Member

Just purchased a Canon zr950 with the intent of capturing some old 8mm video movies and transfering them to DVD's. I've got the same problem. HP laptop won't recognize the dv firewire hookup. Tried it on a new Toshiba... same problem.... using Movie Maker. Any progress in resolving the problem??
    Thanks
    dperla

11. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

Try hooking up the external power while doing this. Most cameras require the camera to be hooked up to the external PS instead of just using the battery.

12. coogrr

coogrr Member

I have tried all of the suggestions listed here and, like the others, cannot even get my pc (Vista Home Premium) to recognize the 950. I was connecting via a 4-pin to 6-pin Firewire cable (pc does not have a 4-pin port).

I have an old XP machine but it does not have a Firewire port. I have ordered a Firewire PCI card and 4/4 cable and will try with the XP machine. But from all of my research, I am becoming convinced it is a Cannon problem. If my last attempt fails, I am going to purchase a new Camcorder (definitley NOT Cannon). I will then transfer my mini tapes to the new Camcorder and then get them on my pc.

BTW, CAnnon's support is a -25 on a scale of 1 to 10.

13. jekkl

jekkl Member

I finally had success! Was ready to give up and send reunion tapes to a pro to download. Before quitting, I purchased a Firewire card from Compusa for $15, with both 4-pin and 6-pin sockets, to install in home Dell desktop PC (remember 4/4 cable had failed in my relatively new laptop w/4-pin socket). When I plugged in the 4/4 cable to the desktop it ALSO failed. Last resort -- went to local Staples, purchased a 4-to-6 firewire cable for $30. Plugged it into the new 6 pin socket in desktop... and IT WORKED! I'm now downloading all those mini-DV tapes from 2 reunions and making movies requested months ago.

I'll never understand why only the 4-to-6 cable to desktop works, not the 4-to-4 pin cable or the 4/4 to laptop. Both computers use Windows MovieMaker for download, abeit slightly different revisions. This mini-DV technology is not new... when I bought the camcorder I NEVER expected video download to be such a nightmare. I agree wholeheartedly with coogrr: (1) Canon tech support is worthless (2) I'll never buy Canon again, stick with reliable Sony and (3) I'll never recommend Canon to anyone else.

14. keddy1

keddy1 Member

well thats what happened in my case too.am a new member here,so I couldnt help you in time.but I too had to go for a 4 to 6 firewire,as all other attempts failed.all the best with your downloads

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009