1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asus HD4850 issues

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redZoneOS, Jan 20, 2009.

1. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

I just built this computer (specs below), and I keep getting a BSOD as soon as vista 32 home premium loads up.. error ATIKMDAG.SYS...

I can boot into safe mode just fine, but reinstalling ati drivers (catalyst 8.12) does not help...
    even when the computer starts, I see dotted lines about an inch apart through out my entire monitor.. even during the gigabyte logo screen and post.

so what do you think, any suggestions on troubleshooting this? think its a driver issue, or a probable hardware failure???

specs:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    asus radeon HD 4850 with latest drivers
    intel Q9550
    Corsair Dominator 1066, 2gb x 2
    corsair TX650W
    640 Western Digital HDD
    samsung DVDRW drive

nothing is overclocked, everything is set to gigabyte's "optimal defaults"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Reboot in Safe Mode,go to C:\Windows\system32 and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.doc - now reboot. Good Luck

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like faulty hardware. Have it replaced.

4. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

@sam i was thinking it was probably a bad vid card too, but I seem to be able to get into safe mode w/ networking every time without any problems... doesn't that mean it's a problem with windows? I assumed if I had faulty hardware I wouldn't get into the OS at all...

thanks though, tomorrow I'll try to swap out vid cards, ram, etc to see if the problem goes away, I do have an Nvidia card handy...

@elusiv, It's my friends computer that I built so I dont have the ability to try that right now, I'll check it out tomorrow and see what happens.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not necessarily, initially I would have thought so, but the corruption at the BIOS screen tells me otherwise.
    Note, uninstall all ATI drivers before sticking the nvidia card in or you'll probably get even more BSODs.

6. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

ok thanks, i cant test out the hardware until tomorrow so I'll be back for more advice! :)

7. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

I just realized that my friend can uninstall ATI drivers... and if windows vista assigns generic drivers, the computer boots fine... not sure if that helps you help me though just thought i'd mention it before I start testing the hardware...

Note that the lines during initial boot at gigabyte logo still appear.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Graphics cards aren't activated when drivers aren't in use (i.e. BIOS screen, safe mode, and when they're not installed) - they act as dummies - the CPU does all the video processing. When you install the drivers the GPU activates, so it's still probably a faulty card.

9. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

didn't have the install disk for vista handy so I restored windows to first configuration after uninstalling everything ATI.

plugged in the nvidia card (6200LE, LOL!)... lines gone, boots fine... guess it was the video card, thanks sam!

bad news for my friend he already mailed in the rebate so he has to go through asus RMA... oh well :\

thanks again, glad I know I can rely on you guys to help!

10. Smee342

Smee342 Member

hiya red

umm if memory serves me right that ATIKMDAG.sys is a known issue i believe its a driver issue, if you check out the ati forums theres ton of info there about it, only reason i remember this is because i was having a issue with my 4670's with a dvi connections and i happened to past by a few threads talking about atikmdag.sys.

Smee

edit'd to add the link to the ati atikmdag.sys faq thread

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.c...7&enterthread=y

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  11. Smee342

Smee342 Member

sorry i triple post by accident sorry

12. Smee342

Smee342 Member

sorry i triple post by accident sorry

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

ATIKMDAG.sys is just one part of a graphics driver. If there's a badly installed driver, or a fault with the hardware, the part of the driver that could crash is often atikmdag.sys.