1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats a good program for cropping the frame of a video?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by oneguy, Jan 20, 2009.

1. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

Okay I have some dvd's that aren't the anamorphic widescreen and I have a new widescreen tv. But when I play a dvd that has what I'd like to call the fake widescreen it looks like it's being viewed in a black frame with black bars on the sides cause it's really a 4:3 image and not 16:9 but then also with black bars on the top and bottom because this fake widescreen dvd was made to be used on 4:3 televisions(I guess). I don't want to use the tv's stretch feature cause I don't like the image to look disproportioned. So I was wondering if you guys or gals knew of a good program that can crop a video images ratio without loosing picture quality. Keeping pq is the main goal. I have nero and pinnacle (which always crashes) and these two can crop a videos frame size but I'm wondering if you's knew of a better program to do this with? Dvd's for example with the fake widescreen are Scream and Stargate. I'm annoyed cause I love these movies. Please help.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  2. MilesAhed

MilesAhed Regular member

If you have an upscaling DVD player that can play .divx I'd suggest you use AutoGK. It should auto crop the video and convert to .avi. If that's not useful an alternative is to use FitCD to get the cropping info. It generates an AviSynth script. About half way down the page in this link is a mini-guide how to use FitCD.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic296341.html

There are a lot of free converters that understand AviSynth scripts so you don't have to learn it yourself.

3. hydengene

hydengene Guest

spammer removed from the building

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
  4. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

@ MilesAhed

About those programs... Would I just be keeping the main movie portion on the dvd or could I have the whole disc? And also can I still keep sub and audio options? And my dvd player is a ps3.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  5. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

The program that can correct this is DVD Rebuilder. I have over 30 of these 4:3 letterboxed movies That I have converted to true widescreen.

6. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

Hey, how exactly do you change it from 4:3 to 16:9. Cause I went to "convert from lb 4:3 TO 16:9" and I have all the squares checked but when I look at it in the preview edit I don't notice any change to the ratio and also when I back up the vobs with all squares checked, the video is still not 16:9. What settings or options do I need to change the main movie from 4:3 to 16:9? I'm using dvd rebuilder pro v1.26.6

7. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

First update to the latest version 1.28.2.

8. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

Well I updated to 1.28.2 but when I went to the options I didn't see anything that could let me change the dvd from 4:3 to 16:9... So how can I change the dvd from 4:3 to 16:9 with dvd rebuilder while still keeping all the subs?

9. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

Okay I've tried dvd rebuilder 1.28.2 and under avs options I click avs expert options, then I click on "convert from lb 4:3 to 16:9" and I have check marked the vts_01 and vts_02 and I also have red checked the "adjust for itu aspect ratio (16:9)" and also "Deinterlace with decomb" is check marked as well. Then I hit the back up button wait about twenty minutes and play the new files. And they're still not 16:9 for a wide screen. It still looks like a widescreen image for a 4:3 sized screen. I'm sad. What settings do you have to make your "30 of these 4:3 letterboxed movies That I have converted to true widescreen"? But again I'm open to anything so if there's any program that can change a 4:3 to a 16:9 video while still keeping the rest of the dvd audio and subtitle options then please tip me in on it.

10. jony218

jony218 Guest

The only 2 programs that I have used to remove hardcoded blackbars are videoredotvsuite and convertx2dvd, both have excellent crop tools and those programs never crash on me.

If your original video files are in avi format, you can use avidemux (with the crop filter), that is also an excellent program to remove blackbars.

11. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

Would I still be able to keep the audio and subtitle options?

12. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

What player are you using to view the output?
    Yes you can keep whatever you want to keep.Uncheck Deinterlace with decomb.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  13. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

The player I use to view the backed up vob's in the output folder is first dvd shrink to make sure that the subtitles are there and then I check the frame ratio with nero showtime. I have a widescreen monitor so a 16:9 movie should look normal but instead it's a square. But I'll do it again and this time I'll uncheck Deinterlace with decomb and report back with the results.

14. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Also make sure adjust for itu aspect ratio is unchecked.

15. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

Well so far this is what works for me... After all these suggested programs convertx2dvd is the one that does what I was looking for. I tried again dvd rebuilder and even after the I changed the settings for whatever reason it didn't work well for me. But if it works for you then rock on! I haven't tried videoredotvsuite but since I've already got convertx2dvd doing what I need I'm in no hurry. I did stargate yesterday and I got to alter the or crop out the black bars while still being able to keep the audio and subtitle options and it looks good..YAY! YAY! YAY! So right now I'm doing scream and I'm happy knowing it's gonna come out the way I want it to. Thanks for all your help and time people. I feel like a won an award cause this was bugging me for the longest time!!! And now I know the solution. YAY!

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

There is no way you are going to have a 4:3 bar-less image without losing a lot of the picture.

17. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

I did. The 4:3 image is pulled from both sides and the top and bottom bars are brought up and cropped so that it's looking like it was a 16:9 on purpose. The movies look good. I've watched them both since the cropping.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  18. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Alright, in rereading your post the actual image (movie) itself was WS on a FS (4:3) DVD.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  19. oneguy

oneguy Regular member

what does FS mean? sike!!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009