1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning with Kanji/Japanese subs

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by shepjn, Jan 23, 2009.

1. shepjn

shepjn Member

I am trying to burn a DVD with Japanese subtitles, in Kanji. I am using the following .srt file:

http://www.anysubs.com/subdetails.php?subid=67339

I am using the following subtitle programs to open and view the subtitle files:

- Subtitle Workshop
    - AEGISUB

Subtitle Workshop

Originally when using Subtitle Workshop I could open the .srt file (with default settings) but it would show up with blocks and un-readable texts. I can change the settings to ShiftJIS and some of the characters do change however it is not legible Japanese (according to my Japanese wife).

AEGISUB

When opening the .srt file in AEGISUB the program would prompt me saying "Aegisub could not narrow down the character set to a single one. Please pick one below:"

The choices are:
    - 99.00001% - UTF-8 (IF I PICK THIS ONE THE KANJI IS READABLE)
    - Unknown - windows 1252 (local) (IF I PICK THIS ONE IT RETURNS TO THE UN READABLE TEXTS.

O.k. so I can export subtitle files from AEGISUB in multiple "Text Encoding", there are multiple choices and none of they work when playing the video with NERO 7, VirtualDubMod, DIVIX Player or ConverXtoDvd. This is a example of what I get when watch the show through the player on my PC or burning to DVD and watching on TV:

機長�スイッ�を入れ���

I am soooo tiered and have posted this on so many forums with no answers. It would appear to me that the subs are not the problems but the association with the burning and playback programs and it being in Japanese/Kanji.

2. shepjn

shepjn Member

Amplifying information:

I have East Asian Languages installed on my pc, I can read Japanese Web pages and Japanese txt/doc files.

I have tried MKV as well with no luck.

I have tried subs from at least 5 pages to ensure the subs are not corrupted.

3. cocoa2005

cocoa2005 Member

Hi shepjn,

The *.srt file you refer to is encoded in UTF-8. Open the *.srt file in Notepad and save it in ANSI instead. You should be able to properly read the Japanese characters in Subtitle Workshop.

Cocoa2005