1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best software for ID3 tagging

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Ghostdog, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Wow, it´s been a loooong time since I last visited these forums.

I need some advice regarding ID3 tagging. I´m wondering what you consider to be the best software for tagging a large number of mp3 files (and why not ogg´s as well)? I´m basically looking for something that could identify the files based on an online database, so that I wouldn´t have to manually type in all the info.

Is mp3Tag still the best option, or what would you recomend?

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I like mp3tag the best for bulk tag editing. I convert oggs to mp3s so I don't edit oggs. I try to keep my music in a form that I can play it on anything. That means mp3s or m4as for me.

Mp3tag has the best interface for identifying albums with freedb and Amazon. Winamp and Media Monkey will look up single files and might do oggs. I don't use that feature. Media Monkey has the best filename to tag info. I use that sometimes.

Unfortunatly, freedb and Amazon are light weights. I would love to see a paid for editor. I use a paid for subscription when I rip with PowerAmp. That database is complete enough to have an Indie I ripped the other day. They were big enough that the label looked professional but the disk was burned not pressed. When the database had that info I was truely impressed. I would LOVE to be able to access that with a tag editor. I made a suggestion that Poweramp make a tag editor that uses that database.

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

For a slightly different way to tag, try WinAmp. 'Auto-Tag' will sample the song, create a 'signature' and look it up at GraceNote. Pretty strange, but it works good. It usually gets the title right, but with so many 'best of' albums out it sometimes doesn't get the original album name.

4. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Thanks for the replies people, I appreciate it.

Olyteddy: I´ve used the auto-tag feature in Winamp, and it usually works well - but I still can´t figure out how to automatically tag many files at once (in something similar to a batch process). Any advice?

5. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

Select the files, right click, send to Auto-Tag.

6. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Mine only shows Send To -> Enque in Winamp

7. olyteddy

olyteddy Regular member

From within WinAmp....

8. TheRaccon

TheRaccon Member

TuneBite its amazing thats what i use it has every song in its database and always has lyrics also if you have subscribed to Napster or Rhapsody or any music programe like that Tune Bite is able to remove the DRM protection letting you put the songs into iTunes for free. So i pay $15 a month for unlimited songs on my iPod.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

TheRaccon, I do not understand your post.

How do you get tunebyte to fill in the missing/wrong tag info. I have Tunebyte but use it very infrequently. I am always interested in finding easier and better ways to fill in tag info. Do you need to convert the audio for the retag function to work? Are there safe guards to prevent it from overwritting good tag info?