1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blue screen after upgrade from AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ to 6400+

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by CaptDunMi, Jan 28, 2009.

1. CaptDunMi

CaptDunMi Member

I upgraded from the 4200+ to the 6400+, obviously. The motherboard supports it. when I turn the computer on, the bios recognizes it properly, but after the windows screen where the bars slide across the screen, I get the blue screen and it restarts. When I go into safe mode with networking I can mess around and do whatever I want. Windows Update didn't do anything and when I searched for updated drivers for the 6400+ it came up with nothing. I used registry mechanic and whatnot and that didn't help. anyone have suggestions?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Since you didn't say what the BSOD error was, it's is pretty much impossible to say. Even with the BSOD error message, it will be difficult.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Would'nt a clean install on the hdd be needed coz it sounds like you did'nt,you can get to safe mode so one can assume the basic drivers etc are fine but once the rest of the drivers & software begin to get loaded it crashes,on the safe mode selection screen you can turn off automatic reboot or do it from properties in MY COMPUTER,select the advanced tab & then hit STARTUP & RECOVERY untick auto restart,well for xp anyway so vista should be similar,you can now copy the number & attempt to track down what the prob may be

I find the sob of the bsod can usually be fixed by using a previous image file (i use ghost & acronis for backing up),it happened not more than two weeks ago,don't know what happened i must've installed a software that did'nt agree with the rest of the system my point is & tho i'm no expert it seems to be software on the hdd that is getting read & implemented & conflicts with the system

4. dailun

dailun Active member

@scorpNZ

That was my point. Knowing what BSOD message he was getting could tell us if it was a driver problem, paged memory problem, etc.

I don't know if the CPU upgrade requies a bare metal install of the OS, but I believe that some mobo manufactures provide CPU specific driver files.