1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm very frustrated and could use some help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gldoorii, Jan 29, 2009.

1. gldoorii

gldoorii Member

I'm new to the whole HD scene and purchased a Phillips 47" 1080p 120hrz LCD TV a couple weeks ago. I upgraded my DVD player to a PS3 and my Direct TV box to HD. Every channel, SD and HD, had this weird..particle effect around objects that moved. I've been told it's a motion blur, halo effect, and other things. This made the TV very unwatchable. This issue happened regardless of video input as I tried composite, component, and 3 HDMI cables. I had called Direct TV thinking it was my service and they replaced the dish and receiver..and I still had the issue. So, I called Phillips and they said I needed to make sure some "enhanced motion" feature was turned on in the settings to stop the motion blur...so I checked and it WAS turned on. I turned it off and this actually stopped the problem, but it made the display quality worse (blu-ray movies don't even look blu-ray). I got fed up with this and returned the TV and bought a Vizio with the same specs and I STILL have this issue. The Vizio has a similar "enhanced motion" feature that reacts the same way as the Phillips did (turning it off fixed the issue but made the picture quality worse). I don't know if this is just how HDTV is supposed to look or what. I was told this "enhanced feature" being turned on makes the TV 120hrz...which I was told should STOP the problem...but it's better when it's turned off..which I was told makes the TV 60hrz.

I'm just completely lost in the situation because no one at Best Buy and Circuit City knew a single thing about TVs. They all told me 120hrz will look smoother and clearer, which means I would need this feature on the TV turned on...and it makes the TV, DVD, and Blu-Ray unwatchable.

I know this is long, but could someone please give me direction on what I should do? Thanks.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Not true. Sure it makes it smoother and helps to eliminate the fast motion lag that is inherent in LCDs, but it also adds a rather artificial 'video' look, especially evident in film based movies. I don't like the effect, but it sounds like you do (except for the artifacts). People have been watching non-120Hz sets for many years and were quite happy, sometimes amazed, with the results.

It's hard to offer advice though, as you are also unhappy with your PS3. Usually I would look at the output settings of the various devices and make sure they are appropriate.

That both sets would exhibit the same problems seems odd.