1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cryptdigr, Mar 4, 2004.

1. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Now I realize I'm considered a newbie having just starting my account and all however ........ doesn't anyone look through the guides before posting a question relating to "how-to" questions? I think the website is great and it has definitely helped me out with converting etc. It blows me away seeing the same questions posted over and over. Ok, I'm alright now :)

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

We thank you for it cryptdigr :) and welcome to AD.

Consider yourself a very welcome exception to the rule :D

3. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

: tips hat : Thank you for the welcome. I learn something new EVERY OTHER day here.

Cheers

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the boards cryptdigr.

It's nice to see a newbie with a good attitude about doing their homework. Unfortunately a lot of people get into this without understanding the complexity and aren't willing to invest the time to do something as simple as using the search function or re-reading a guide a few times.

BTW, you probably should have posted this on the Safety Valve forum. OTOH it would make a good sticky right here. ;)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Learn AviSynth The Easy Way: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/6346
    Always Read The Small Print[/small]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2004
  5. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Thought posting there, but then again I didn't think anyone would "find" it there. I gotta smile man.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a good sticky.

I must have lurked here for 2 or 3 months before posting. The guides here are tops and along with searching I was up and running in no time discovering all the wonderful freeware to be had :)

7. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

The software is great and the user guides provided are explained clear enough for anyone to do well the first time around. It took a little bit for me to finally get caught up with the burner, but it's all been well worth it. Looking forward to many more posts ;) Thanks for the hospitality.

8. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Welcome :) And stickied now.

9. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Too true.

One of the things I had going for me, was having the guides open in several windows will doing the step by step process using the software. It helped tremendously, getting me from point A, to the brick wall I hit in no time! lmao...it had nothing to do with the guides though....those are very well written. I recommend having the guides open when first starting out.

10. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

I second the motion!

11. vurbal

Exactly. To really figure out what you're doing you need to read through some guides, decide which one you're going to use, read through that one a second time, keep it open while you're working, and follow it step by step. When you get stuck somewhere, as many (maybe most) people will the first time through, you should re-read some or all of the previous steps to see if you've done them right, retrace your steps to make sure you did what you thought you did, and then, if you're still stuck, search the forums. If none of that fixes the problem you should post a question.

When I started backing up DVDs it took me about 6-8 hours to do my first backup, and that was when making a movie-only backup meant using IfoEdit to re-author. By my third day I knew enough to split a movie across 2 discs. That wasn't because I understood what I was doing right away. It was because I read as many guides as I could find and eventually found some posts here on Afterdawn that gave me the final pieces of the puzzle.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Learn AviSynth The Easy Way: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avisynth_tutorial.cfm
    Afterdawn Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/
    Afterdawn Rules: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/6346
    Always Read The Small Print[/small]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  12. IMMENO

IMMENO Guest

i agree.... i had actually downloaded a couple programs and started using them before i began to question... typically the questions are answered in the guides, unfortunately i didnt know they existed until i asked a question and was told about the guides..

im still here

13. jeffreyh1

jeffreyh1 Guest

I've made a few DVD's and haven't had a problem using them on a few different DVD players but I have one DVD player which tells me there is an error. Does anyone here have that same problem?

14. grogey

grogey Guest

Ah yes my favourite function on this site The Search Function . I agree with what was said afore me. I've been lurking around for a few months meself - but managed to find most info within the guides or already in the forums. Take yesterday for example. I was all gun-ho to ask whether I should have my dvd-player and dvd burner on the same or seperate ide channels. Did a search - found nothing. Changed what I was looking for slightly and after the third hit on the search (took about 2 mins total) found just the post!

I actually think it would have taken me longer to type the message for a post - let alone wait impatiently for someone to answer.

Just had to zip back in and edit this post - I hate reading a post afterwards and worrying that it doesn't come across with the same humour and meaning that you were thinking as you typed. I wasn't meaning to sound ungrateful about having to wait for someone to answer - so please don't anyone get offended. Infact I've been stoked that someone has replied to my messages everytime I've come back online to check. I was simply pointing out that the seach function can often find you the information quicker than you would by posting a message in the forum.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grogeybear
    who says "The best revenge is to live a good life" and
    "Aim for CHARM not PERFECTION"
    http://groups.msn.com/APatchworkPlace/_whatsnew.msnw[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2004
  15. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Hey Grogey .....

Nice to hear from you as well as see your honesty. Welcome!

16. grogey

grogey Guest

Seriously though - does anyone else have that problem? My mind is always racing ahead (comes from have adult adhd) and as I am typing in the message my brain thinks it is encoding it (lol) with the correct sense of humour or inflection.

But once posted and I go back and read it - I wonder if the person at the other end of the message will get it the same way. Hence you might see that a lot of my posts get edited!!

One disadvantage about being adhd is that I can't for the life of me work out why everyone else doesn't think the same way I do and often I expect them to get it just like I do.

On the other hand - controlled in the right way - having adhd as an adult is such a plus. I get sooooo much done in a day (pity I didn't stick to one thing instead of doing 50 at once though). I do have the ability to plan and am always full of ideas and new ways of doing things (following up on them is another thing).

Gosh........see what I mean - that was meant to be a nice short note and now look at the volume I have posted.

17. cryptdigr

cryptdigr Guest

Hey Grogey ........

Did you notice that you didn't edit your last post?? You must be doing something right then, huh? My brother is the same way as you described yourself and is only recently learning to deal/cope/live with it. I'm sure we'll all look forward to many more "edited/unedited" posts from you in the future :)

18. grogey

grogey Guest

Thanks cryptdigr. You are a treasure! How old is your brother? It is difficult to cope with as an adult but luckily I have found medication makes a huge difference for me. It gives me the ability to actually complete a project.....and that given I often have 10 on the go at a time......it means that eventually many do get finished.

Love to talk to you about it!

19. vurbal

I can sympathize. My sister severe ADD and while I've never been diagnosed, I'm pretty sure I have it as well. When I was a kid my teachers frequently had to put me somewhere by myself because I got distracted so easily and even now I have similar problems. When something has my interest I can work like a madman on it, but I can lose interest at the drop of a hat. Actually it's not uncommon for me to start a response to a post, either here or on another message board I frequent, and then lose interest before I'm done. Kind of pathetic now that I read it.

I'm currently looking into dietary treatments that have been getting more attention lately because my son appears to have ADHD and I'd rather not put him on any medication this early in his life (he's 5). Plus I wouldn't mind helping myself a little.

Probably should take this OT discussion to the Safety Valve instead of cluttering this thread up. ;-)

20. Steve672

Steve672 Member

Try the book Scattered Minds by Gabor Mate. He is an M.D. who also has ADD. An excellent book.