1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by wvff525, Mar 4, 2004.

1. wvff525

wvff525 Member

I recently bought a new dell computer and the DVD burner that came with it is a TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E I was trying to burn using DVD-R media, and it would not reconize the media. So I called DEll and the guy told me that this drive is not capable of burning DVD-R media. When I asked why he couldn't explain. Why in the world would they make and sell a DVD burner that didn't support all types of media? What should I do? The whole reason I got the computer with the DVD burner in it was so I could backup my PS2 games, in which I need to use DVD-R media for them to work. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm going to call Dell again tomarrow and see if they will switch out the DVD burner for one that will support DVD-R media. Just thought I would let you guys know. It just doesn't sound right to me, can someone check the specs on this drive and see what kind of media it really does support? I tried but couldn't find anything. Any info would be a great help.

2. tgreendyk

tgreendyk Member

I'm having similar problems -- I bought a backup software package called NovaBACKUP and have been having a tough time getting it to run consistently -- keeps hanging the drive. WOn't release it until I reboot my server!

Anyway, found this link on Dell's web site with the specs. Hope it helps.

Tom GH.

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/storage/p60337/en/specs.htm

3. flyhorse1

flyhorse1 Member

I'm having the same exact problemss. Says that I have no writable media in the device. I was trying to use DVD-R since thats the most common type dvd players will accept. I have an e-mail into Dell. I did go to the Teac.com site and this particular model is supposed to be able to write to all of the DVD media types. R rw +r +rw. I will email them next and let you know what I find out. That is interesting what Dell told you.

4. flyhorse1

flyhorse1 Member

CD-DA, CD-ROM Mode 1 and Mode 2, CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (Form 1, Form 2), Single and Multi-session Photo CD, Video CD, CD-I, CD-Text, Enhanced CD, CD-R, CD-RW, High Speed CD-RW, Ultra Speed CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD+R/DVD+RW, DVD-R/DVD-RW (read only)

Notice in the specs for the TEAC it says DVD r rw (read only) There ya go! bummer!

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The guy needs to quit Dell and go flip burgers.

That was typical of the first generation burners. The biggies in the business couldn't agree on a single format so they each put out burners that only burned their own format until Sony put out the first "dual format" burner and everyone else followed suit.

I found the specs elsewhere and it appears to be a single format 8X burner which seems really weird. Here are the specs:

http://www.burningbits.com/artman/publish/printer_234.shtml

I can't imagine why Dell would sell a drive like that in their new PCs.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "Common sense is a dying concept" - Me[/small]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004
  6. daviderin

daviderin Member

I'm having a similar problem. I can't back up data to my E drive (TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E). I
    am using a CD-RW disk that I used with my last computer, which had a CD-RW drive.

According to the TEAC web-site (http://www.teac.com/DSPD/PR/DV-W58E-Press.html), the "drive is capable of recording to CD-R media at 32X speeds, rewriting to CD-RW media at 16X speed..."

Any suggestions re: what media can i use to back up data???

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  7. Nephilim

Was your CDRW formatted for a packet writing app like InCD or DLA?

Verbatim are a good make for RWs if you want to give those a try :)

8. Nephilim

D'oh! Double post :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  9. colw

colw Active member

10. Techless

Techless Guest

My new Dell also came with TEAC DVD+RW/DV-W58E and I was not able to successfully burn a viewable DVD using DVDxCopyGold. After several exchanges with 321 Studios TechSupport, they provided the following link to Blacklisted Programs.

http://forum.321studios.com/?f=50&m=15404

Four of the items listed were applicable to my computer. After making the suggested adjustments, rebooting, uninstallng and reinstalling DVDxCopyGold, rebooting and then downloading the appropriate TDF file for the movies I wanted to burn, (http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/76)
    I have now successfully archived copies of DVD movies onto 1 disk using Xpress. I used both Imation DVD+R 4X and Verbatim DVD+R 8X blank media.

Perhaps something on that Blacklisted Programs list will help someone else.

11. colw

colw Active member

A useful adage is fry before you buy

There are currently two main DVD formats:
    DVD-
    and
    DVD+

If you do not have a dual format burner you cannot burn DVD+ media in a DVD- burner

Conversely you cannot burn DVD- media in a DVD+ burner.

DVD - was the orignal DVD format but was altered to DVD + by companies seeking to avoid paying licencing fees to the original developers.

Some explanation of the differing formats is provided below - pays to do your homework first

When DVD technology first appeared in households, users were simply popping DVD discs into their DVD players to watch movies - an option to the then-conventional VCR. But just as compact disc technology evolved so that users could record and erase and re-record data onto compact discs, the same is now true of DVDs. But with so many different formats -- DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM -- how do users know which DVD format is compatible with their existing systems, and why are there so many different formats for DVDs? The following information sheds some light on DVD's different flavors, the differences between them and the incompatibility issues that the differing technologies have sprouted.
    The crucial difference among the standards is based on which manufacturers adhere to which standards. Similar to the old VHS/Beta tape wars when VCRs first hit the markets, different manufacturers support different standards.

DVD+R and DVD+RW

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.
    DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time.

DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM

These formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum.
    DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring, which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available to the general public.

DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a -R/-RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges.

DVD-ROM

DVD-ROM was the first DVD standard to hit the market and is a read-only format. The video or game content is burned onto the DVD once and the DVD will run on any DVD-ROM-equipped device.

For more information, see:
    DVD FAQ
    SmallBusinessComputing.com's Buyer's Guide for DVD Writers
    DVD Forum

12. vwman

vwman Member

Ready to burn home videos to DVD, I was ticked off when I had an error telling me I didn’t have enough space on a blank DVD for 62 minutes of captured video. Another error occurred after shortening the video to 23 minutes. Something to the effect of wrong media, please insert correct media into drive and press OK.

I spoke with DELL Tech support and was told that there were conflicts when using Imation media. Come on, a DVD+R by one manufacture must meet the same standards as another. Anyway, they suggested I use SONY or Kodak media and if that didn’t work to try a DVD+R/RW by these two manufactures. Needless to say I was shaking my head when I hung up the phone.

That is when I searched the web and discovered I wasn’t alone. I found the TEAC manual and began looking at the jumper settings on the drive and noticed the jumper was set on csel. I then noticed the CD drive was set to master and the DVD needed to be set as the slave drive. After moving the jumper and rebooting, I was able to burn on Imation DVD+R as well as Maxell DVD +R/RW media.

The jumper is in a tight location. I found it helpful when replacing the jumper to place the back of the jumper on packaging tape, (sticky side out) wrapped around the tip of my finger.

13. daviderin

daviderin Member

Thanks for the responses to my posting!

Nephilim: Unfortunately, I have no idea whether my CD-RW was formatted for a packet writing application (I’m not very tech-wise about this stuff). I was using Verbatim CD-RWs with my old system and, like you suggested, I never had a problem.

Techless: My Dell came with Sonic “Record Now” software. I haven’t tried to burn anything except a data CD (which seems like it should be even easier than burning a DVD???). Not only didn’t it work using Sonic, but I couldn’t even drag and drop the files from Windows Explorer… Nonetheless, the blacklist you sent is great – I would imagine many of those programs interfere with any burner…

Colw: My issue is not in understanding the difference between DVD- and DVD+ but rather, why my DVD+RW which supposedly should write to CD-RW media, doesn’t.

To add to the chorus about Dell’s abysmal customer service: I have now received three responses to an on-line inquiry I made about this matter, and all three answered the wrong question! The latest gave me detailed instructions how to use Roxio Software with a CD-RW drive, even though I explained that I have Sonic "Record Now" software and a DVD+RW
    drive!

14. Nephilim

Hi daviderin,

I'm really tired and don't want to read the entire thread so if it hasn't been suggested yet......update the firmware. Here's a link to the greatest firmware site on the net:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=34

Newer firmwares typically help with media recognition.

The blacklist is only if you have DVD XCopy. XCopy is pure garbage and can't even work when certain apps are present which is why it needs a blacklist. Avoid it when you start burning DVDs.

Post back if this doesn't help :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  15. daviderin

daviderin Member

Thanks, Nephilim! I'll give it a try and will let you know.

16. Techless

Techless Guest

Nephilim - Do you own or have you used a copy of DVDxCopyGold (full)? The DVD movies I have burned using this software are pure gold not garbage. The quality is great and auto compressed to one disk when you use the DVD X Copy Xpress feature. The copies play fine on my computer and on the Yamaha DV-C 6660 connected to the TV. Anyone is welcome to check out these archived copies. Bring your own popcorn. :)

17. DeltaB

DeltaB Member

David, I am in the same exact boat as you. TEAC combo drive on a new dell and have only made coasters. I switched the drives to MASTER/SLAVE and updated the firmware. What brand media have you been using. I have only tried Imation (worked great on mh last computer). Also, I am sickened by Dell's support. I searched the internet on this TEAC drive and it is not good, at all! I feel that Dell should replace my DVD-RW with a reputable ASAFP.

Eric

18. Nephilim

I never said the copies were garbage, I said the software was. That's great it actually works for you, but you are in a minority of people who like the software and are willing to accept the nag screens and the blacklisted programs. I used Xcopy when it first came out so I do have experience with it and thought it was great until I found out what real software can do :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2004
  19. Nephilim

I had a look at the Dell forums regarding this drive and it is not a pretty picture there. Many folks there consider this a bum drive and want Dell to fess up and replace them.

20. daviderin

daviderin Member

DeltaB:

I gave up on trying to burn to CD-RWs. I got a bunch of useless responses from Dell to my inquiries, and decided it wasn't worth pursuing. I am now backing up data to Sony DVD+RW disks, and its working fine. I do not burn music or video, so can’t help you there. Good luck.

- David