1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSN Adware ads from offline friends.

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by delta36, Feb 7, 2009.

1. delta36

delta36 Member

Hey all,
    I've been having this problem for the last few weeks. Basically, I'd be signed in to messenger and at some point I'd get a message from an "offline" contact telling me something along the lines of "OMG check out this funny site http://myusername.spamsite.com". Where myusername is actually my real MSN username. I only get these from the same three contacts, and have the same problem on my laptop as on my desktop. I am using the bog-standard version of windows live messenger from microsoft and haven't installed any add-ons. I've also run scans on my computer and they came up blank. Is this a problem on my computer is it these 3 contacts who have been compromised? Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

2. vballstud

vballstud Guest

It's only a problem if you actually go to that link. Your friends are the ones who's either been infected or they were dumb enough to give their email address or credentials to a website.

You may want to run a thorough virus scan and use a good malware detector, just in case.

3. delta36

delta36 Member

Ah, excellent. As long as I'm not infected I really don't mind. :) I was a bit worried 'caus I was getting messages from them as they were offline, so I assumed it was me. Thank you!