AfterDawn: Tech news

Quicktime Pro going free?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 10 Feb 2009 5:22 User comments (13)

Quicktime Pro going free? According to a report from Appscout, Apple may be on the verge of making Quicktime Pro free with the latest update of Mac OS X.
Although the Quicktime media player is free for everyone, the Pro version costs $29.99 USD and gives users the ability to edit and save Quicktime movies as well as export additional codecs other than .mov.

Checking the new developer build of Snow Leopard shows however that all those abilities are available for free and any links to register for the Pro version are also removed.

This should mean that Apple is making the player free with OS X 10.5 but that has not been confirmed yet. We will keep you updated.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

110.2.2009 18:07

Unless pro makes trans coding easy and can make a HD video in any format it would be worth while even with the blaotware that is QT.

210.2.2009 19:02

Years ago before the dawn of time there was a song by the floaters called float on,if memory serves cheech & chong used it & switched the wording to bloat on how appropriate that song is these days,those guys were ahead of their time maaaaaan..lmao..

310.2.2009 19:06

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Years ago before the dawn of time there was a song by the floaters called float on,if memory serves cheech & chong used it & switched the wording to bloat on how appropriate that song is these days,those guys were ahead of their time maaaaaan..lmao..
They should have called it bowel on!

410.2.2009 22:30

Who the heck even uses QuickTime Pro in the first place?

511.2.2009 05:04

Originally posted by mrklean:
The only time I have used it is to see previes of upcoming movie trailers, but that's about it, and even then if you want to see them in HD, it's only a select few.

611.2.2009 14:15
looser_ur
Inactive

What????????????????????

What tech-head wouldn't?

There are many many movies in the QT format and they're pristine more often than not. Pro (which is the easiest jacking of all software) allow full screen playback. That alone makes pro awesome. Now I totally disagree with Apple charging peeps 30 bucks for that. Ridiculous as that is because the main reason for pro is full screen playback. Maybe you were unaware of this.

711.2.2009 14:19

Quote:
What????????????????????

What tech-head wouldn't?

There are many many movies in the QT format and they're pristine more often than not. Pro (which is the easiest jacking of all software) allow full screen playback. That alone makes pro awesome. Now I totally disagree with Apple charging peeps 30 bucks for that. Ridiculous as that is because the main reason for pro is full screen playback. Maybe you were unaware of this.
I'll take Xvid, so what if its alittle blocky smaller over head all around.

812.2.2009 19:48

This is no biggie in my opinion because there are plenty of software applications out there that provide these features already and we would not need this apple upgrade regardless it is a good thing however for apple users. Its good to see that apple users get some perks as well.

917.2.2009 19:57
iline
Inactive

QT Pro has been used by editors for years now. It's fully incorporated into the Final Cut Pro suit & of course OSX, making it the most reliable and fastest software transcoder out there.

It's a pity that Apple are switching the focus to Compressor now. QTP is far superior.

Also QTP H.264 export in the most rebust carrier IMO.

1017.2.2009 20:44

What's so great about Quicktime exactly?

1118.2.2009 13:57

Originally posted by shaken:
What's so great about Quicktime exactly?
It irradiates that cool Apple aura...LOL

1218.2.2009 21:28

off topic question... what is the BEST actual FREE transcoding software?? i am trying to come up with free solutions to the stuff i'm working on.

i do have 'stuff' but everything is gonna start going into HD and i want to join the stupid bandwagon. currently i have 'stuff' that gives me normal transcoding ad dvd authoring capabilities, but i want to be able to do what everyone else is doing.

1324.11.2009 19:07

The QuickTime player has the most stripped down functionality of almost any app. All it does is play almost all video and audio codec formats. It has all the main codecs and let's you add more.

AND it has all the features digital video makers and musicians use all the time, like present movie, loop, play selection, step frame, vari-speed, etc.

IS that bloat? I don't think so.

In the old days, before QuickTime Pro, you could also edit; add audio tracks, cut bits out, etc. I was pissed when they locked these features. But now some are back hidden under 'Trim' - you can export a chunk as a new movie but not as a reference movie.

There is no more QT Pro or QuickTime Control Panel. Maybe they assume that, because you get iMovie free with your Mac, that you have all those features and more for free already! Which is true but QT Pro was so good for getting in and making a QT quick and clean. The reference movies were so useful when I was making CD-ROM titles.

Just like most of you here I suspect they have underestimated its usefulness and popularity. Probably because it's so easy to get a Pro SN for free.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive