AfterDawn Forums

Blu-Ray Compression ?

This discussion thread has 59 messages.

#1
I have skimmed through some of the posts about compression and haven't seen an answer I am looking for.

(1) I have a 43gb blu-ray disc, but I only have 25gb blank discs. Is there a compression software out there that can do this? I have used imgburn to get the movie onto my hard drive with no problems.

(2) I have seen lists of dozens of softwares to use while burning/ripping blu-ray. Can Imgburn compress to under 25gb or is Imgburn strictly an exact copy software?

With DVDs, shrink would compress the files to 4464MB, and then you could use Nero to burn to disc. Is Blu-ray not that simple yet?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I am racking my brain trying to figure this out.
▼▼ This topic has 58 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
binmax,
ImgBurn is a very nice building and burning engine but it can not reduce file size. For BD DVD you should use the following. AnyDVD HD, or DVDFab HD to rip. RipBot264, and BD Rebuilder (Beta). With the use of these programs if you want movie only you can normally reduce the file to fit on a DVD-5 instead of a BD, or DL disk with great quality.

AnyDVD: http://slysoft.com
DVDFab: http://dvdfab.com/free.htm
RipBot264: http://www.bontragerphotography.com/psp/RipBot264.php
BD Rebuilder: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716




#3
So let me get this straight. You are telling me that you can shrink a 43gb BD movie down to a 4.7gb DVD-5 Disc? I can't see how that is possible?

I already have AnyDVD HD. I used it in conjunction with Imgbrn. That's how I thought I was able to put the 43gb movie on my hard drive in the first place. I will try the other softwares you recommended and see what I can come up with.
#4
with BD-REBUILDER u can compress the movie to 25gb disc with true-hd
even though the disc or the movie said 43gb the main movie isnot necesasarly to be 43gb
Its all depend on the movie

which movie u r trying to back it up...!!!???
#5
Thread teleported to a more relevant forum. Have a read thru this - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/733781

You could maybe try it out, and post your results to the above thread



Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
#6
Originally posted by djkrishna:
with BD-REBUILDER u can compress the movie to 25gb disc with true-hd
even though the disc or the movie said 43gb the main movie isnot necesasarly to be 43gb
Its all depend on the movie

which movie u r trying to back it up...!!!???

I am trying to back up Gangs of New York BD. I was actually pretty fluent at using all the softwares used for DVD ripping/burning. I just received my BD burner and knew that this new format might be a struggle at first. This is my first and only rip so far. I figured I would try and dissect all of the information on this movie first before I started tackling anything else.
#7
u can use bd-rebuilder once u open the moviefrom bd-rebuilder
it lets you choose the audio format and then u r able to choose 25gb(bd-r)and then process then it will show u the original size of the disc and bd-r size which we can tell how many gb its compressing?
ttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=760714
check this site out u can get all the movies info
what are the playlists and whihc file is the movie -only
#8
Okay I will look into that. I tried installing the BDRebuilder and it said it was out of date. I can't win for losing. Not for sure why there would even be an out of date version available for download.
#9
Originally posted by binmax:
I tried installing the BDRebuilder and it said it was out of date. I can't win for losing. Not for sure why there would even be an out of date version available for download.
You haven't checked out the last link posted above by syxguns, the current version (from his link) is 0.19.06, dated Feb 21, 2009.

Plus a little googling revealed ~ http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/BD...oad-117797.html




Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
#10
Originally posted by djkrishna:
with BD-REBUILDER u can compress the movie to 25gb disc with true-hd
even though the disc or the movie said 43gb the main movie isnot necesasarly to be 43gb
Its all depend on the movie

which movie u r trying to back it up...!!!???
Only legacy AC3 and DTS is supported at this stage (not TrueHD/DTS-HD) with BD Rebuilder.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 Feb 2009 @ 8:21


#11
if u go to the preferences there ian option to keep the true-hd audio...
#12
Originally posted by djkrishna:
if u go to the preferences there ian option to keep the true-hd audio...
No, there isn't. The option "do not reencode AC3" does not mean keep TrueHD... It simply means do not reencode 640 Kbit/s AC3 to 448 Kbit/s AC3.


#13
oh ok my bad
apologies

try the new version of tsmuxer
#14
Okay, I have been able to rip the Blu-Ray movie to my hard drive with AnyDVDHD. I ripped the movie as an ISO image with flying colors. Now the ISO image is just slightly bigger than my 25gb disc.

I never liked menus so those won't be an issue. What is being used to to get the stand alone movie down under the 24gb mark in order to fit on the disc? I have Imgburn and NERO 9 to use to burn to disc, but of course the disc isn't big enough.

Does anyone have a refined 5-step user's guide for this, or does everyone have to go to 20 different pages to find all of the software needed?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Mar 2009 @ 1:01
#15
Originally posted by binmax:
Okay, I have been able to rip the Blu-Ray movie to my hard drive with AnyDVDHD. I ripped the movie as an ISO image with flying colors. Now the ISO image is just slightly bigger than my 25gb disc.

I never liked menus so those won't be an issue. What is being used to to get the stand alone movie down under the 24gb mark in order to fit on the disc? I have Imgburn and NERO 9 to use to burn to disc, but of course the disc isn't big enough.

Does anyone have a refined 5-step user's guide for this, or does everyone have to go to 20 different pages to find all of the software needed?
Eh ?, it's behind you (well above you) ~
Originally posted by creaky, further up the page:
Have a read thru this - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/733781

You could maybe try it out, and post your results to the above thread




Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
#16
I have been sucessfully backing up my blu-ray disc to a dual layer dvd for sometime now using Anydvd, Ripbot264, and Nero. The process takes about about 22hr from start to finish, but results are amazing. I'm pretty sure by using these programs you should be able to back up your blu-ray movie to blank blu-ray disc with no problem.
#17
His problem is that the movie is on a 50GB disk. He would have to purchase the new 50GB BD disks to fit the entire DVD on it. That is why I suggested that he use RipBot264. Then just record the movie file.


#18
I will try that out. I have no interest in backing up a copy with the menus. I am trying to take the movie off of the 50gb disc and put it on a 25gb disc, with nothing else but the movie.
#19
ripbot will compress
bd-rebuilder will compress
Tsmuxer will elinimate the unnecessary aduio formats and subty's to get the lowets GB and highest quality
If i were you
I use tsmuxer first and elinimate the unnecessary formats like sapnish,french,
I would keep main movie with one audio and one subty and let see how big will be file 9Make sure you choose bd- structure as output file)

Most of the time 70% of the movies willcome under 25gb
Ganges of newyork will be more than that and i will take that stripped file and ran it inot Bd-rebuilder o r ribbot
#20
Ripbot will do everything you need it to do, and you can make the file any size you like. After which all you need to do is burn it to a disk and watch your movie.
#21
Originally posted by djkrishna:
ripbot will compress
You may change the settings so that it does not compress. Then you find the movie files in the bin to burn.

Originally posted by edeg02:
Ripbot will do everything you need it to do, and you can make the file any size you like. After which all you need to do is burn it to a disk and watch your movie.
Exactly!


#22
Well I downloaded everything that you need for Ripbot and now ripbot is saying that I don't have FFDshow installed. I have the programs installed that are needed but it keeps telling me that FFDshow is not installed.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Mar 2009 @ 4:11
#23
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm

That link will take you to a free download of FFDShow.


#24
Alright, here is what I'm stuck with. I have installed all needed software: AnyDVDHD, BDRebuider, Ripbot, FFdshow, Imgburn, AviSynth, and MatroskaSplitter. He is what I'm doing in order:

1) Insert Bluray Movie
2) Rip with AnyDVD (Rip Video DVD to Hard Disk)
3) An hour later I open BDRebuilder
4) Source path hit Browse and click on Movie
5) Click Backup and wait 15 minutes for an error to pop up

Since I'm still a noob at this, I am assuming that the above programs are all running in the background while this error is occuring. Why are some people using Ripbot and others are using BDRebuilder? I am not able to get either to work. Ripbot stops at 32% and BDRebuilder stops about 10 minutes after it starts. I have followed the first post step by step with no luck. There is something I am overlooking.

Thanks for your help on this.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Mar 2009 @ 21:48
#25
binmax - please stick to your original post hee ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/733781/4593644



Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.