1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I hardsub MKV with srt/ssa to AVI

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Prideless, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Prideless

Prideless Member

I have an MKV file I would like to hardsub external subtitles onto.

I am able to accomplish this with AllToAvi but it only allows me to hardsub with 28 font at most and its much to small for a 1280x720 resolution.

I tried Vdub "textsub" filter and am having trouble to get textsub to be listed in the Filters even after I installed it with vobsub following this tutorial.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic272736.html

Is there any alterantive methods to hardsub with bigger subtitles.

Thanks In Advance.

2. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

You'll have better luck using Avisynth + MeGUI. It'll keep the subtitle size the same as the original, or you can change the size of the subs.

...might complicated program, though, Avisynth is. If you need help with it, let me know.

3. tripster2

tripster2 Member

Hi,

I am trying to combine my subtitle .srt file with my 720p .mkv file. I have tried using "mkvmerge", but after the process completes, the subs still won't play. I use Zoom Player to play the .mkv file. The audio stream shows that the English subs are present, but they still do not play.

I'm not sure if the VirtualDubMod will work. Can I combine the .srt and .mkv and still have the .mkv file, just with hardcoded subtitles using Avisynth + MeGui???

Please help!

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. KajNrig

KajNrig Regular member

Well, depending on what video you've got in your .mkv, you can use either VirtualDubMod, AutoGK, or MeGUI + Avisynth. (AutoGK also uses VDubMod, so eh. It's up to you. I personally don't like it 'cuz it installs a whole bunch of programs that I honestly don't need, so I just stick to VDubMod or MeGUI.)

Anyway, if your video stream is an .avi file, then you can use VDubMod to hardsub the video. If you've got an HD file, though, then you'll have to use MeGUI.

What you need to do is just demux the .mkv file using MKVExtractGUI (download it, stick the .exe in the same folder as mkvtoolnix). You'll split the file into its components - video, audio, and subtitle.

Then, with whatever program you want, you can hardsub the video.

Once you're done, then simply remux the component files back into an .mkv container using mkvmerge.

Hope that helps.