1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick AVI Demux question!

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by janlafata, Mar 4, 2009.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Occasionally I get an AVI file that has the black bars on each side of the video. About an inch's worth, in Windows Media Player terms. I was instructed by a moderator on here to run it through AVIdemux and that would allow me to crop it to my liking.

I've done that with many files and they've turned out great, but occasionally I get a file that does not respond to the editing, and after the procedure still remains the same, with the bars on each side. Are some files just unchangeable?

Just to double-check, here are the steps I am using when attempting this procedure. I click on the open folder and load my file. Then it usually says it has detected a bitstream and asks me if I want to unpack it, (What's that about anyway?)Ithen check ok.

Next in the Video option I click on the drop-down menu and choose MPEG-4 ASP (XVID-4). Then I choose filter and crop, set my borders the way I want them, then click apply and save, then save, once more with the file spelled out and the .avi included. Then my conversion starts.

Is that all about right?

2. ZippyDSM

ZippyDSM Active member

sounds about right, but I would double check those tricky files with Gspot to make sure they are encoded right and if they still annoy try media coder or another program and re encode it in a higher bitrate to whatever codecs AVIdemux can handle(mpeg and xvid I think?).

I forget I am in and out of converting stuff IE I do it a few times a year and can barely recall what it that I do...but then...I do that on a daily basis too :p.