1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X58 Mobo choice

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by rubixcube, Mar 5, 2009.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Hey all,

Looking at a new build soon, going to be using a core i7 920 with a TRUE 120 and I'm looking to o/c the hell out of it... but I cant decide on which motherboard to go for, and they are all in the same price range (at least they are here in Aus) so it makes it even harder.

These are my candidates:

Asus P6T Deluxe
    MSI Eclipse
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Evga X58 SLI

(I think) They all have esata and an optical audio jack, correct me if I'm wrong, but I need both of those so if it's a no-go then just say and I'll take it off the list.

Any opinions from people who already own one of these or are proficient in X58 board knowledge?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Gigabyte X58 boards are very good overclockers compared to the MSI boards, and are my personal recommendation. I don't particularly like EVGA boards based on the quality of their 775 offerings. The P6T Deluxe looks OK but very expensive.

3. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Thanks for your help sammorris.

Are you only not recommending the Asus board because of it's price? If so, it doesn't really matter to me as all of these boards are within around 40aud of each other, no big deal. Or is the gigabyte just an overall better board? And while we're on the topic, what's the difference between the ex58-ud5 and the extreme?

You're right about the evga 775 boards, I have a 680i and it killed my RAM twice. So I guess I was stupid to even consider them for my new build.
    Cheers

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

To be fair, all 680i boards were terrible, but the EVGA ones certainly were't the best of the bunch.
    In general, I trust Gigabyte boards more as it doesn't matter how cheap or expensive one is, you can guarantee it will last. With Asus it's very hit and miss. I don't see anything that puts the P6T over the EX58-UD5.
    The Extreme and UD5 are quite similar, but the Extreme uses a hybrid chipset cooler that allows it to be directly plumbed into watercooling without needing a block.

5. rubixcube

rubixcube Regular member

Sweet thanks bud, ex58-ud5 it is then.