1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cda mp3 wav bitrate

Discussion in 'Audio' started by patm1998, Mar 6, 2009.

1. patm1998

patm1998 Member

can i convert cda to mp3 (yes) and increase bitrate to lets say 160 and then convert to wav while keeping the higher setting at 160 or when converting to wav will bitrate revert to 128. Also what is a good software program to go from cda to wav.

tia

2. undine

undine Regular member

CDA is not an audio format such as mp3 or wav. If you have a cd that you want to "rip" the songs from, just use one of the many good rippers such as EAC or Audiograbber ,etc. These will rip to a wav file or a mp3 file. When you rip to a mp3 file you can set the ripper to what ever bit rate you like. I hope this helps. Good luck.

3. patm1998

patm1998 Member

Thanks, very nice

4. Mez

Mez Active member

You must be getting your information from a moron!

NEVER convert lossy to lossless. It would be like stretching you to make you a foot taller. It can be done but you will be dead. The same with the music, it will be dead. Where do you think the computer gets the information to inflate a 2 meg file to a 100 meg file? It can't fill it with music data because there isn't any more than 2 megs. It has to make it up, and stuffs your wave file full of worthless junk. Without magic, you can only successfully remove music data not add music data. To make a graphic example you want to make a 100 pound cake but only have 2 pounds of cake mix so you add 98 pounds of saw dust to it to make it nice. The problem is it doesn't taste like cake it tastes like saw dust. That will be what your wave file will sound like, saw dust.

I don't mean to rag but 10-20% of the digital community does this routinely. They take low quality music and convert it to lossless. Then brag that they are so smart that they listen to lossless. They contend thay can hear the difference between the low quality mp3 and the lossless. The reality is they are total morons with probably only one functioning nuron in their brain.

Lossy does not convert well and the more adavaced ones do worse. Only lossles can be converted without losing something that you did not intend.

EAC is in a league by its self in the relm of free rippers. I would only use an inferior ripper if I couldn't afford a better one. You can rip to lossless. However, if you rip to VBR mp3 at V0 setting using the slow analysis, the product will be exactly the same as lossless in the theroetical range of human hearing. Except the mp3 will be 20-25 times smaller than Flac and 50 times smaller than a wave. What is lost you can not hear. Do not convert it to anything else just leave it in that format. It is likey that a lower quality setting will sound the same to you. However, if you wish to hear the highest quality possible, use V0. That takes no data from what you might be able to hear that is why it is 0. One last time... Once it is in that format LEAVE it in that format. If you want to 'play' with a converter, rip to lossless and play with that.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009