1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD43 Blocks Autoplay Autostart

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by boa666, Mar 15, 2009.

1. boa666

boa666 Member

I installed DVD43 and autoplay and autostart stopped working in windows XP SP3. Inserting a CD or DVD no longer brings up the autoplay dialog (where you would choose which program to use for the disk). I have checked the registry and all settings are correct. Part of the problem is that DVD43 is preventing the DVD/CD drive from refreshing. You can force AutoStart by starting Windows Explorer.

The Workarounds

If you use DVD43 often:
    Temporarily disable DVD43 by right clicking on the DVD43 icon (yellow smiley face) in the System Tray (lower right on the taskbar) and choosing "Exit". Now Autoplay and AutoStart will work normally.

If you use DVD43 only occasionally:
    Permanently prevent DVD43 from loading at boot by running MSCONFIG (click start->run & type MSCONFIG), go to the startup tab and uncheck DVD43_Tray line item then close MSCONFIG and reboot. Now when you want to do a DVD backup you will have to start DVD43 manually.

2. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

While it is against my better nature to defend DVD43, which is a crap program IMO, it is doing what it or any other program that decrypts in the background (such as AnyDVD) is supposed to do. Unless you turn the feature off within the program they will kill the autoplay features of the disk. This prevents disks from makers such as $ony from trying to run their garbage when the disk is inserted. I know this can be disabled in AnyDVD, as for DVD43 I don't know as I only used for a very short period before I realized what rubbish it was. It will conflict with other programs and usually won't even remove the protection from the disk enough to allow copying.