1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9800 GT compatibility with out of the world system

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by ashyankee, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

I have this system with some weird hardware. Here are the specs.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz

and i have this motherboard.
    http://www.mercury-pc.com/product-spec.php?productid=718

I have 1.5 GB RAM.

I'm thinking of buying the 9800GT.

Will this card work on this motherboard?

I read in some forums that PCI-E 2.0 cards when put into PCI-E 1.0 slots will actually show reduced performance.

I'm planning to add another 2 GB of RAM while removing the 512 MB. So it'll be 3GB total. Will i be able to play new games such as Crysis and GTA IV? If so, at what settings?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are much better cards you can buy for the money than a 9800GT. An HD4850 for instance. However, your motherboard is very primitive and may not provide very good performance with the card. Your CPU is also too weak to run GTA4 and Crysis very well. On top of this, the power supply in the system is unlikely to be able to handle the card either.

3. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

But i have a 400W PSU. I checked on the official Nvidia page. it says 9800GT has a minimum requirement of 400W. and does that card need an external power supply? i'll be happy if i can play all those new games in 1024x768 with all effects turned off. and about the HD4850, the card requires a 450W power supply. so cant go with it. tell me if i can install this card in my mobo.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends which 400W Power supply. A good one could run two of the cards. A bad one couldn't even run one. If it's a Mercury power supply that would fall into the 'bad' category.

5. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

oops! i said it wrong last time. its a 450W PSU. and i didnt give u some details. Previously i had a 7300GS. i was playing Prince of Persia the new one. i was able to run it on 640x480 but suffered a little framerate loss. so i downloaded ntune and set the coreclock value to 850 or something. then when i started the game the PC turned off and the system didnt boot. so i removed the graphic card and turned it on. it booted fine.so i thought my graphic card is dead and removed it forever. do u think my PCI-e slot is damaged? coz i put the card and set the default display to onboard graphics it'll boot fine. but if i put the card and set it as default display adapter it wont boot. Kindly tell me what happened to my PC? will the 9800GT work when i put it in my comp?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should, it sounds like you just damaged the card (though I don't see how, overclocking a card should just make it crash when in windows, not stop the PC booting at all). However, as I say, it depends on the brand. The PSU could be 1000W, but if it's a bad brand, it still won't run a 9800GT. Many low-grade PSU manufacturers lie (and lie heavily) about the wattage. If you can tell me the brand I'll be able to tell whether it will work or not.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  7. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

well i opened the cabinet now and it says TechCom PSP-4500(450 Watt). Some chinese product. sad that i didnt concentrate on these things when i bought the pc. My friend has the same PSU and he runs the 8800 GT without problems. but i still doubt mine. and also are there any ways to find out if my PCI slot is damaged. and Thanks man!! u replied.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It might run his, but for how long? I would strongly advise not to use such a PSU, and to buy a better one as part of the upgrade. What's your budget? I'll try and find the best graphics card and power supply combination for the price.

9. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

My budget is aroung 150$. but i seriously want a 9800GT to play all games. it been 3 months since i played any new game. and i will change the other hardware like mobo and others sometime later this year. so i think 9800GT would be worth to get.(and i want to play Half life episode 3 atleast in 640x480)

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There are more cards out there than just the 9800GT, both above and below. This is US dollars right?

11. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

ya its US$. but i live in india. thats why i have all this crap. and hey do u have a IM account or something so that i can ask u immediately.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which IM client do you use? I will Personal Message my username to you.

13. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

Hey! i use yahoo messenger. my id is spideyreturns. am online now

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Further to IM:
    [​IMG]

However, I once again urge you not to get the new card until you have bought a proper PSU. Time and time again people ignore this, and time and time again people regret it.

15. GenesisX

GenesisX Member

With the CPU and PSUs supplied, I'd recommend you go and grab a 4670 instead. It has the power to play most of the current games at respectible resolutions and detail. What's good about it, is that I believe it is actually on par with the older 29000XT, and even possibly the last gen 3870 (??). It only requires the power from the PCIe slot there, so the power needed for the 4670 is quite minimal.

This card in my mind, has a great value to it, and I've got a really good impression of it, among with the whole ATI 4 Series. It should mostly be on par, if not better than the 8800GS. Take a look at it.

For consultation of this card, you can look at benchmarks for some idea of how this performs. I searched it up on Google, and the first site that came was from Guru:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review/2

Good luck! Low power, good performance! What else can you ask for?
    BTW, you've got great overclocking potential from the CPU; not sure about the mobo though! Have fun!

EDIT: Due to its mem. bus restrictions, I don't recommend pumping the resolutions too high up. You won't with the given specs anyways, right? Having one with more vRam would help a bit too. It is a good card, and it should have the power to harness a 1GB buffer.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  16. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

Ok thanks for everyone who replied. Thanks to Sam!!

"Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HD4670 is a fabulous product for the price, and would simplify the upgrade as you could potentially get away without changing the PSU (yet - I still recommend you do so) and indeed, its performance is just short of the HD2900XT, between the HD3850 and HD3870, around the level of the 8800GS and 9600GSO. Ultimately the extra memory is a little needless, as by the time you need more than 512MB, the card's performance will be pretty abysmal anyway. The HD4850 is the minimum card I would say to use 1GB, preferably a 4870, as you need to be using at least 1920x1200 with either very high detail, or some Anti-Alising to break 512MB.

18. ashyankee

ashyankee Member

Ok. i decided to go for 9600 GT and upgrade my PSU as well wothin the budget. is that fine? and also i can get any PSU right? or will there be any sort of imcompatibilities between the mobo and PSU?

19. GenesisX

GenesisX Member

I'd really recommend a 4830 over that. Newegg = 9600GT = $75, where 4830 = $95. For $20 more you may be getting the performance of a 9800GTX, or even better when overclocked. Essentially you are getting maybe 40% more or at least 30% more performance... for the price of $20, if you are buying the cheapest models there.

Good Luck... =DDD

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HD4670 is on a par with the 9600GT, but unlike the 9600GT, does not require loads of extra power. The 9600 does. It's also a pretty poor value card as well. Still, the price people pay for fanboyism I suppose...