1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking a P4 3,2 Ghz and Hyperx 800 CL 5 memory

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Skiivari, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Skiivari

Skiivari Member

Ok.
    I'd like some tips about overclocking (especially voltages).
    My mobo is a ASUS p5q pro and i've alreaady overclocked my p4 3,2 ghz to 4,25 ghz which I am pretty proud of :D. But I've not tampered with the volts, and since the temperature is staying under 40 with 4,25 I'd like to know more about it. The 4,25ghz OC wasn't stable, and crashed on a 3dmark test. My memory is OC to 833 mhz but i'd like to know about overclocking them too.

I now have the processor at 4 Ghz on normal use, and when i play games Both fans push out warm air. Not hot ,but not refreshingly cool either.

So recap:

1. What should I proceed to do with my CPU?

2.What should I do to my memory, I heard they are good at OC

3. What is the recommended temnperature for my CPU? Factory it's 32,5C, with stock cooling.

Thank you in advance

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, you haven't tampered with the volts, but your board will have (Auto voltage) - no way a P4 would make 4.25Gh without a voltage increase. The auto volts are limited to a certain level though, and you will need to exceed it to break 4Ghz, hence why 3dmark didn't run at 4.25.
    Essentially, get a better CPU cooler such as a Freezer 7 Pro from Arctic, go into the BIOS and raise the voltage. You shouldn't need to do much else, other than adjust the memory multiplier to make sure you aren't pushing it too far.

By the way, why such a modern and advanced motherboard with an ancient basic CPU?

3. Skiivari

Skiivari Member

Ok thanks for the answer. I wouldn't like to spend money on a new cpu cooler because i'd rather save the 50 euros for a new cpu (maybe E8400). So the point is that I will buy a new cpu, thats why i have a carp cpu... Btw does the voltage cut down my CPU:s lifespan?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well exactly, I think it's a better approach to save money for a CPU than spend more money on a dinosaur like that. Increasing the voltage does indeed reduce the life of a CPU. Within +0.1 to +0.15 it will still last several years, beyond that it diminishes rapidly. +0.3V brings you down into the 'months' category.