1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TopToy DSTT freezing at menu screen?

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by merandom, Mar 26, 2009.

1. merandom

merandom Regular member

I have a TopToy DSTT cart and a 2gb Sandisk micro sd card (bought from DX.) When I first put the games on it they all worked fine... but now (only a few hours later) they all freeze as soon as I go to start them (to clarify, the menu screen freezes, not the game itself... the 9 little dots in the bottom left of the screen start to rotate like it's going to load and then everything just freezes on the menu screen, the games don't ever open.) I have formatted the sd card in both fat and fat32, no better. i have taken all games off but a couple, no better. i have gone from firmware 1.17 to 1.16 and then 1.15 (formatting in between each switch), no better.

What's going on? Is it more likely the dstt cart, or the micro sd card?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. jmander11

jmander11 Guest

Most likely you have the wrong firmware, go to the first link in my signature for the correct ones if not.

Otherwise you have a clone, as there is clones of the DSTT out there.

3. merandom

merandom Regular member

It's not a clone, I've checked that out and taken the cart apart as well to verify.

And yes, I have the correct firmware. As mentioned in my original post I've tried 1.17, 1.16 and 1.15...

4. jmander11

jmander11 Guest

The problem may just be file fragmentation. There are also reported lag and freezing problems with DSTT firmware.

Download YSMENU instead as an alternate firmware as it fixes many problems. If you want the DSTT firmware and YSMENU on the same card simply change the original TTMenu.dat file extension to .nds

Watch this video on youtube here, for info on how to fix file corruption.

Link to Yasu's webiste. (Creator of YSMENU)here.

5. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

When working there is no real issue with the DSTT, I can only think of a couple of things to try.

1) Paper shim trick, several cards have issues if the card is not tight enough on to the pins in the DS slot. Check all the pin look level, if they do try a thin bit of card between the back of the card and the DS slot.

2) If this does not help then it may have been taken out by the fake killer (even though it is a real card)

The site in my signature has the recovery program, try to recover the card. Put on the none killer version and see if you can get the card working again. Only try it with 1 good rom, don't load the card back with everything.

When it went wrong was the card full, as each game you start has to have its own save file, I generally leave 1MB per game to allow for the .sav .cht .opt files that may be created.

To format the SD use panasonics SD formatter, its free and can help with speed issues

6. pepzii

pepzii Guest

I got the Same Problem, purchased a TT DS , and after about 1 hr in to the game , i reset my console , and got the blank screen off death , i went back to the places i bought it , they swap me a new one no questions , ask , ! i ask the guys at repair central , if this was a common problem, apparently even the the authentic TT are faulty .

If anyone is after a TT , buy it from a reputable company , cause you know they exchange it , if you buy it from crappy cheap site , say bye bye to your money ..

i got mind at

7. merandom

merandom Regular member

The card was only half full, plenty of free space. I tried another card in the dstt cart and it worked... it's gotta be the micro sd card... wouldn't have thought it, but hey, a result is a result right?!

8. jaywatts

jaywatts Member

What if I could solve your problem? I went through everything that you have and here is what worked for me.
    1. First of all when formatting your card, MAKE SURE to select default allocation size under allocation unit size and never do a quick format.
    2. I would also make a separate folder for your roms and put them in that folder.
    Don't ask me why this works but it does. I banged my head up against a wall for a while trying to figure this out but I was glad when I did. I haven't had a single problem with my dstt's that I have gotten from thedsdeals.

9. merandom

merandom Regular member

I've already tried that... it didn't work.

10. ds_dad

ds_dad Member

Does that mean that the only solution to this problem would basically be to return the card?

Does this happen with other cards as well or is it only a common problem with the DSTT?

11. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

sold alot of dstt cards all working well after all the R4 problems with the games frezing just don't get them from dealextreme as the fake ones dont work

12. merandom

merandom Regular member

As I've said many times in reply to you, the cards from DX (sku 15613) DO WORK JUST FINE! It ended up being the micro SD card... NOT the DSTT cart...

13. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

ok i was only saying what i know

14. merandom

merandom Regular member

Well you were wrong... DX might sell fake ones, but they also sell real ones...

15. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

im not wrong and http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086 try this download link unzip and put on micro sd card run in a working dstt if you can not boot the non working one if you try a couple of times taking micro sd in and out sometimes it will boot, if you used a working dstt press a on the flash writer and once program loaded remove card don't run program put fake card in (it does not need a micro sd card at this stage) run program, once done its now fixed, DO NOT use the firmware's 1.16 and above from dstt.com you can delete the firmware writer and checker file and run games from this firmware you have on micro sd at present, make a games folder and put .nds files in there, just done this for the two cards i bought of dealextreme after getting two white screens and a failed boot works fine now.

16. merandom

merandom Regular member

You are wrong... you're saying all DSTT carts from DX are fake... well they're not... thus, you're wrong!

17. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

ok fine not all are i re-read the dealextreme forum and a member said he ordered 10 got 1 genuine and said 10% are real along with simular stories from other members, im just trying to show newbies the site is not perfect you can have problems with them, yes some people are lucky.

18. merandom

merandom Regular member

lol, you're hilarious. You just can't admit you're wrong can you?!

I've ordered a lot of them from DX, never once did I get a fake, and not once did I get a non-working cart. 100%... not 10% as you claim.

You keep saying "i was only saying what i know" but you don't know this... you're going by what others are saying. Just give it up... walk away...

19. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

gbatemp.net has a 1.17 flash for the dstt to re-write the code to card as 1.16 and 1.17 firmware have a flash killer for fake cards in it its called http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4477 fake killer disabled you need a dstt that is bootable load the writer of the good card or if you can sometimes boot of bad card do that once loaded if you used good card remove and put bad card in no need for micro sd (there is a test on there to, to see if it fake) run the program and use the 1.17 thats on the micro sd card that had the writer on it you need the ttmenu.dat file and the ttmenu folder you can delete all the rest aan add games etc as normal

20. Amison

Amison Member

I'm having some problems loading up my NDSTT Card, it would seem after three re-sets, the game menu comes up and then you can't load any of the ROMs you start to get the little squares at the bottom of the small screen on the left then freezes, also says loading at the top but nothing happens. Am using version 1.17. Have checked on the NDSTT site and had look at the card and it's a real one http://www.ndstt.com/anti_fake.html. This is my second cart from the shop and its the same problem. I know this has been covered in this topic, but can someone please tell me what worked out best, thanks I'm a bit of newbie to this, thanks.

Last edited: May 7, 2009