1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plextor PX-B310U vs Lite-On DX-401S

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by BitAddict, Mar 26, 2009.

1. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Sup,

I'm looking to purchase my first Bluray drive and so far, I have these 2 models in mind. The Lite-On drive is listed for about $130 which is about $70 less than the Plextor. The specs seem more or less the same but I was thinking I might as well pay the extra $$ for the Plextor since they make better drives. Can anybody who owns either of these drives message me with their opinion? Alos, I read something about needing my monitor, video card, and Bluray drive to be HDCP compliant...! Is this true? Does anyone know if these drives are HDCP compliant?

DX-401S

PX-B310U

Thanks

BA

2. tikitimbo

tikitimbo Member

I would recommend getting Plextor. Since your going to the latest and greatest, I say get the best. LiteOn makes a good cheap burner, but for Blu-Ray, get the best, and it don't get much better than Plextor. The quality of Plextor is definately worth the extra $$$.

And it is true that your system needs to be HDCP compliant in order to play back Blu-Ray. You may want to search for a utility like the Cyberlink BD advisor which will tell you if your hardware meets the specs to playback Blu-Ray.

3. oddINit

oddINit Member

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

All well and good if Plextor actually still made drives, the PX-B310U is a Lite-on.

5. BitAddict

BitAddict Member

Thanks for the replies guys. But if Lite-On makes the new Plextor drives, what is Plextor making? From what I found searching the net, Lite-On partnered with Plextor and are engineering and distributing drives together. So does that mean that Lite-On drives are good or Plextor drives are bad? Maybe I should just go with Sony!

BA

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The new Sony/Optiarc 22X drives are... wait for it-> Lite-ons.

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

There is a difference other than the faceplate:

Plextor does not make drives; they make firmware. Because of this, the plextor units usualy burn to cheaper media and also read from slightly more damaged media. The trade-off is that the laser in the plextor unit will burn out faster than the same laser in the lite-on unit. For $200 I would pick the LG Blu-Ray burner.