AfterDawn Forums

[TUTORIAL] Loading ISOs from USB drive

This discussion thread has 159 messages.

This guide will show you how to use USB loader to backup and boot games from a USB drive.

First, what's required;
-Newest Homebrew Channel installed
-This file pack (v1.1+IOS rev 9)
-The original IOS36-64-v1042.wad file (GOOGLE!)

Prep:
-Extract the usbloader.rar file into the root of your SD card.
-Stick the IOS36-64-v1042.wad file into the root of the SD card.
-Boot the Homebrew Channel, run the IOS installer
-Select "WAD Install", it should install automatically
-Reset Wii

Running USB loader:
-Insert a USB drive into the Wii
-Boot the homebrew channel, select USB-LOADER

-It should ask you about formatting and choosing a partition.

This WILL erase everything on your USB drive, so be sure to back it up. Yes, the USB drive can be converted back to normal later, it's no big deal. Windows will however, not be able to read your USB drive while it's formatted under the WBFS.

-Choose your partition and continue.
-Insert the game disk (original or backup) into your Wii, and press the + button.

What It should say;
Quote:
Opening dvd disk.. OK!"
Then it will proceed to carry on with the ripping operation.

Troubleshooting:

Q: When installing the IOS file, i get "extracting content #00... ERROR! (ret = -1017)"?
A: Use AnytitleDeleter to get rid of ISO249.

Q: When I boot USB Loader, I get: Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1) ?
This means either your USB drive is corrupted or it is not supported. Please use another drive or doublecheck connections. Also, if you have something plugged in the other USB port, be sure to remove it. If all that doesn't work, try switching your USB port. Some people reported this working via hotswapping, but I do not support this method. Other people are reporting that plugging two errored USB's in at once makes one work.

Q: While in the ripping process, it freezes. (I got passed 0.01%)
A:Mine did this, but because my flash drive was overheating. It sounds ridiculous, but try keeping it cooled off. Or if you have another flash drive, try that.
If your flash drive has an LED and it's still blinking, leave it be, it's just running slow! If it's stopped blinking for more than 40 seconds you'll need to reset your Wii. Also, sometimes it wont work the first time, but works great the second or third.

Q: When I go to rip the disk, it freezes at 0.01% or 0.00%?
A:If your Wii is hard modded, I don't have a solution for you :[..but if it isn't, try reinstalling the IOS file or cleaning your disk.

Q: When I go to rip, it says "Invalid Wii game"?
A: You're most likely using a backed up game or a ligit scratched game. Clean the DVD, try a few more times. If that fails burn another copy.

Q: WTF's a partition?
A: The best way to describe it, is a segment of your hard drive that is reserved for one file system. Most computer come with the entire hard drive as one partition, but you can split hard drives into multiple partitions for better organization or different file systems.

Q: How do i turn my USB device back compatible with windows?
A: Using XP, right click "My computer" and go to "Manage" while your USB drive is connected. Click "Disk Managment". Right click your device and format or create a new partition.

Q: I know what a partition is, is there any way for me to repartition my drive without loosing current data?
A: Unfortunately, there's no easy way to just repartition without deleting previous partitions that I know of.
[EDIT: Apparently you can use Partition Magic, but I have no experience there]

Q: Can i dump Gamecube games?
A: No. Im sure it'll eventually be supported, but not at this time.

Q: It says that there's only x.xxgb's avaliable, but I have a lo tmore space than that!!
A: Either you messed up with the Partitioning, or you're not using my USB Loader pack.

Q: Do I need FW v4.0?
A: Nope.

Q: Can I put the ISO on my Hard drive through Windows?
A: Yes, the WBFS Tool.
Command line or
GUI

Q: How big are the Wii games and how long do they take to dump?
Most games take under 20 mins to dump, except Super Smash Bros Brawl. Here's some examples.
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess :::: 1.12gb :::: 13 mins
Link's Target Training :::: 0.25gb :::: 3 mins, 25 seconds
Wii Sports :::: 0.36gb :::: 5 mins, 13 seconds
Super Smash Bros Brawl :::: 2.97gb? :::: 1 Hour, 34 minutes, 8 seconds

Q: My disk drive is really loud and making weird noises!!
A: Don't worry about it. The noise amount varies between models and use.

Q: My picture is black and white / distorted / Grainy / ect?
A: It's cross-video compatibility. Some PAL games work great on NTSC consoles, others dont, and vise versa. There's been numerous reports of fixes and video patches, and forcing NTSC, but nothing is clear yet.

Q: Does this include USB 2.0 support?
A: Yes

Q: Does usb loader dump brickblocked backup discs?
A: Yess.

Q: How big can my partition be?
A: 512gb max for now.

Will build on to this. Please correct me if im wrong anywhere! Thanks guys ^-^
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Apr 2009 @ 16:13

Systems:
V12 PS2 w/ SummOne Fix& DMS4 EZI S.E. Lite w/ LED kit
V7 PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, DMS4 EZI S.E. Pro (Soon to have Lunix Installed)
▼▼ This topic has 158 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Finally! A hard drive loader for the wii. I've been waiting for this. Still a somewhat buggy early release, but its good to see that progress is being made.
gameover9 Suspended account
You should give ntorrents credit for this since you copied and pasted it off their site. Other than that, does this require 4.0 firmware? and cios rev 9? I am currently running 3.4U and don't want to brick my wii. Also I heard if you have the isos you can move them to the drive in linux? This true?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Mar 2009 @ 11:09
Originally posted by gameover9:
You should give ntorrents credit for this since you copied and pasted it off their site. Other than that, does this require 4.0 firmware? and cios rev 9? I am currently running 3.4U and don't want to brick my wii. Also I heard if you have the isos you can move them to the drive in linux? This true?
it is compatible to 3.4, and you need the cios ver9.

Currently it's not that mature yet (buggy), as penquin say wait..don't jump too quick..

Yup, heard also you need linux for the HDD, since windows cannot undertand or read the files so with the format. you have to rip/dump the ISO files directly from Wii to the USB port/drive. So this will stress the Wii drive.

Just wait for those newbie (like me) who jump in and start asking how are they going to fix their wii drive.
I haven't had any problems with it and its worked with every game i ripped to the drive so far. the only problem that i have been hearing a lot is the Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1),i was getting that with one of the flash drives i tried so i just tried a different one and it worked fine, its been pretty good with hard drive compatibility from what i have been reading, my 250 WD usb drive is working great. flash drive compatibility not so much.
Originally posted by cky4987:
I haven't had any problems with it and its worked with every game i ripped to the drive so far. the only problem that i have been hearing a lot is the Could not initialize USB subsystem! (ret = -1),i was getting that with one of the flash drives i tried so i just tried a different one and it worked fine, its been pretty good with hard drive compatibility from what i have been reading, my 250 WD usb drive is working great. flash drive compatibility not so much.
cool!..are you in 4.0 or 3.4?
Does the drive has to be external powered(3.5) or usb powered (sata 2.5? does not even matter.
Originally posted by fiber32:
Originally posted by cky4987:
Does the drive has to be external powered(3.5) or usb powered (sata 2.5? does not even matter.
Same here. My ext drive usb powered
Quote:

it really doesnt matter, i've read people using old hard drives with an ide to usb cable, it can be external powered or usb powered.
Don't be a fucking douche, I typed this myself.

This doesn't require 4.0, and yes you can use WBFS tool to move the ISO's using Linux.

Systems:
Originally posted by Hack_Zero:

This doesn't require 4.0, and yes you can use WBFS tool to move the ISO's using Linux.
Hmm, check out this link, funny how it's word for word:

http://ntorrents.net/forums.php?action=viewthread&threadid=3576

No sense in cussing me out either, I was simply pointing this out, maybe they stole it from you, even though it was posted before you?

Where do you get the WBFS tool?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 31 Mar 2009 @ 14:10

No sense in cussing me out either, I was simply pointing this out, maybe they stole it from you, even though it was posted before you?

The link you posted is pointless, being that I have to login and there's no register option anywhere.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144349

That's my original post.

It's just frustrating when someone asks me to give credit for my own tutorial that I typed word from word.

The WBFS tool is now avaliable for windows:
http://www.filedropper.com/wbfswindelta

The linux link:
http://www.zshare.net/info.html?57942904...d74bfc1c6c29abc

Systems:

Oops, didn't know that, sorry. Maybe they took it from you then. Just trying to help out. Thanks for the links.

The link you posted is pointless, being that I have to login and there's no register option anywhere.

That's my original post.

It's just frustrating when someone asks me to give credit for my own tutorial that I typed word from word.

The WBFS tool is now avaliable for windows:
http://www.filedropper.com/wbfswindelta

The linux link:
http://www.zshare.net/info.html?57942904...6c29abc
What's the point of quoting me and not responding to the quote? >_>

Systems:
What's the point of quoting me and not responding to the quote? >_>
I'm a moron and typed in your quote....LOL. Thanks for your help.
No problem. Could you please say something in the NTorrents thread about this topic:

Thats the original source and they could at least give credit.

Systems:
The link for WBFS Tool for Windows isn't working! Thanks!

HYBRID MAN!
Originally posted by pooky:
It always works.. dude somethings wrong with you..i just download again.."select download this file then enter the code then download"..

Maybe you are using MAC...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Apr 2009 @ 5:16
Originally posted by fiber32:
Originally posted by pooky:
It always works.. dude somethings wrong with you..i just download again.."select download this file then enter the code then download"..

Maybe you are using in MAC...
No, I'm using Windows. When I click the link I'm taken to a Megaclick link. Your link flashes like it's going to load & then it switches to Megaclick. Maybe it's one of my Firefox add-ons blocking it or anti-spyware program. I'll see what I can fond out. Thanks!

HYBRID MAN!
The link works fine.

Systems:
I can't get the link to work but I got it elsewhere! I think it's my anti-spyware program which I haven't checked to see yet. Thanks anyhow guys!

HYBRID MAN!
nuke1105 Suspended due non-functional email address
ive seen version 1.0 and 1.1 which of the two should i use? Im on 3.4 firm. Thanks

Im new, so bear with me!
Usb Loader 1.1
Waninkoko has released a new version of his USB Loader which was just released yesterday. This "loader" allows you to store and play back your legal backup collection from a USB Mass Storage device.

What's New?

* No longer has the bug of the free space (which marked a great wrong in devices), plus show you the size of the games.

* Also added a possible fix for some games that might not work.

* The "date Bug" on Animal Crossing, Wii Sports and other games that use the date has also been fixed.

got that from tehskeen.
if anyone wants a package with everything you need i made one real quick, they have icons too.

http://rapidshare.com/files/216196947/Wiiusb1.1
This is a great tut but kind of confusing. For ex, in the "what's required" section, you should mention an SD card, a usb drive, usbloader.rar and a game on disc are required. Screenshots would also help the average user.

Maybe also guide some people (like myself) on where they can learn to install homebrew channel if they don't have it.

Otherwise good work.
Hey Guys, I've just purchased a Wii and I have a question about this process. Does this work on the latest firmware (4.0 I'm assuming) I just updated the system yesterday. I'm new to the Wii modding and I don't want to brick my Wii. I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered before.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.