1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Freespire Problem with 02 Broadband

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by neo842, Apr 1, 2009.

1. neo842

neo842 Regular member

I installed Linux Freespire on my laptop full install. everything working fine and o.k it looks great. went to install 02 broadband and noting comes up at all ? no pop up no install notice nothing. any help at all ? how do I install it.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

If you are trying to run their cd you are wasting your time... totally wasting your time..

plug an ethernet cable into the modem.. it should work out of the box..

wireless.. and freespire??.. why don't you use proper linux??

3. neo842

neo842 Regular member

is freespire not linux ? not tryed all that Im downloading fedora now. to us that. I tryed ubuntu on the laptop before and the tounch pad wouldnt work.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

yeah.. you do have my sympathies.. linux is a bit awkward on laptops because of the continuing use of "winmodem" type hardware emulation.

Really what you need to do is look on the distro specific forums cross referenced against your hardware...

puppy seems to work well on them .. but that's a thing all it's own.

what machine is it?.. 2 heads are better than one.. I think you will find fedora is also a pig with lappys. (I don't even want one.. I think they are generally shoddy and unreliable judging by the numbers of broken ones I get handed to repair)

If ubuntu isn't working out of the box then it's going to be fun.. thought of trying sabayon4??

5. neo842

neo842 Regular member

have to say freespire was nice my friend nice system easy to use. worked perfectly. I should get decent broadband dsl line and plug it in. windows 7 is good too. i'll try sabayon4 cheers buddy

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Just a fyi.. if you want to experiment then from a command line or in a terminal

lspci -v

will list your hardware

and for wireless if the device it lists isn't supported (quite rare these days actually because foss people tend to make things work quick) then google ndiswrapper

have fun XD