1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has your DVD burning performance degraded?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by daba, Mar 14, 2004.

1. daba

daba Guest

Your DVD-ROM has slowed down, your DVD-Burner is only burning at lower speeds, your PC has almost locked up whilst reading or burning DVD’s and the CPU usage has rocketed whilst reading or writing.

These are all classic symptoms of your drive operating in PIO mode instead of DMA mode.

This problem occurs in Windows XP when the drives have been used to read discs that have errors on them. After about half a dozen of these read errors the drive controller reverts from DMA mode to PIO mode, which is the old and inefficient way of using them.

This is a simple problem to cure: all you need to do is to reset the operating mode to DMA rather than PIO.

Follow These Steps in WindowsXP
    1) Right click the My Computer icon on the desktop and click Properties.
    2) Select the Hardware page and click the Device Manager button.
    3) Locate the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels, and double click on the one your hard-drive is connected to (usually the Primary IDE Channel).
    4) Open the Advanced Settings page on the IDE Channel Properties window that appears.
    5) Click the Transfer Mode dropdown box and select "DMA if available".
    6) Click on the OK button to confirm the changes.
    7) That's it, you've just enabled DMA. Depending on the number of devices you have on your system, it could be useful to do this on the Secondary IDE Controller as well, and to both devices on each of them.

Alternatively, if you find your drive is locked in PIO mode it is simply a matter of uninstalling the appropriate controller in Device Manger by right clicking on it and selecting uninstall and then rebooting a couple of times and it will then have been reset to DMA mode. Most DVD drives are UDMA2 or similar.

Here is what Microsoft has to say about this problem: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/ide-dma.mspx

Source: http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=74

2. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Why and when would my dma go back to pio? I recently switched it over to dma why did it go to pio in the first place?

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

When your drive encounters a total of 6 errors it reverts back to the old and slow PIO. Attempt to find and correct the source of your errors and your reverting to PIO will cease :)

Cheers,

Pete

4. Thor409

Thor409 Guest

What free software is out there that i can use to copy my movies to dvd? I use dvd x copy platinum, so far it works ok, but sometimes it locks, i have copied a few of my movies for safe keeping with dvd x copy platinum, sometimes it gets slow and sometimes it locks, any advice that could help?

Also is there a software that rescues dvd's when they are damage and copies them to a dvd? besides dvd x copy rescue?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2005
  5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

This is indeed a very informative and simple to troubleshoot for those whom have encountered similar issue as stated by the topic.

6. Thor409

Thor409 Guest

alkohol, what an enlightened response, wow, i am most definitely impress by your deep understanding and comprehension, oh, wait, but are we not in the newbie forum? I am sure that you do know that in this forum we basically do not know anything and that the lingo do sometimes go over our heads, don't you? or did that escape your enlightened neurons! Next time give the benefit of the doubt and expand the information, that is of course if you do know what you are talking about!

7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Thor409,

I have no idea where you're coming from dude, perhaps you might want to "drive slowly" before you crashed someone without any acknowledgement? Oh and if you want benefit and help in regards to your question, then may be next time please do a little reading and search first. Perhaps, by doing this you will succeed.

Why don't you do a little search on the forum. Evidently, DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter is "everywhere in this forum" and of course it's "FREE" to use. I hate to say this, but DVD X Copy sucks and it's obvious that it's nothing comparing to DVD Shrink and Decrypter period. No offend, but I'm not here to pick a fight, I'm here to learn and to contribute with the best of my knowledge that I've acquired.

I was giving "daba" and "ScubaPete" credits for being very informative and applaud them for their knowledgeable post only. And now "please" can you tell me what did I do to wrong you so badly?

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

alkohol - i think your initial reply just wasn't 'as clear as it might have been'. I too interpreted your reply as hostile initially but then dismissed it as i couldn't understand it !!

hope that clears it up !, and hope you take that the right way
    :)

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

No problem bro. Yeah.... i'm :) now with my Heineken.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Thor409,

In fact there are a couple of freeware programs that fit the bill BUT DVDD and Shrink are the most popular and indeed the better of the offerings.

Check out the guide for Shrink / Decrypter located in my sig.

That should be of some help -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

It's too bad that a thread can't be read without havng to filter through so much BS. I am completely lost in here, some how I am subscribed to this thread, now where is that unsubscibe button? ---zen--> Many have not been struck with the zenarrow as I have, I am the flipping cupid of zen. Wow, I can't get enough of myself!!

12. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Look at the bottom right side of the last post in the thread Zenarrow...
    see that nifty "Unsubscribe from Thread" button?
    Click it.

Next time you post a reply, uncheck the box to "subscribe to a thread"
    and check the "relax, it's just a forum box", before you post a reply. =)

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  13. Thor409

Thor409 Guest

Thank you Pete, I did check out your ScubaPete site, you are bloody funny partner, i had a few laughs reading your guides, thanks for the humor is appreciated. I also downloaded shrink and decrypter, and did a movie with it, not bad, but a lot of steps. I honestly like studio 321 dvd x copy platinum, i know that there are a consensus that it "sucks" but i must say that for the most part it has been good to me. I have backup a few dvd's with it and it still going strong, with the exceptions that sometimes it locks up, but, i have figured out the problems after tinkering around with it. I am using "anydvd" from slysoft to supplement any problems that the old dvd x copy might have with the new movies and so my old sucky studio 321 dvd x copy is doing its thing ok. But, I have shrink and decrypter at the ready just in case and i thank all of you who so graciously helped me specially ScubaPete, thank you all and have a beer on me, and i will have a Jack Daniel's and coke on you...! Oh and for crying out loud i forgot to thank LivnDgirl for the great site about getting help, wow i went there and there was lots of topics, and good info, thanks; i am new here and sometimes navigating through it all gets a little cumbersome, it helps when people are informative and helpful. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2005
  14. Thor409

Thor409 Guest

Mr. Alkohol, you have done nothing to wrong me so badly. Perhaps i assumed and made a fool of myself, please accept my most sincere apologies and happy dvd burning sir...

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Thor409,

Keep that JD coming (though I like mine with a short splash of 7up rather than too much coke - (Lol) Though coke is good too. :D)

You might have thought that there were too many steps, and, when you first setup, that's right BUT now, it's 3-steps (if you're using AnyDVD (as I do).

Click one = Open discs
    click two= Backup
    click three = "OK"

Yes, you are using the folders you've already set up But it works well that way too :)

Enjoy your XCopy, And when the movies are large, and you want good pictures, use Shrink with the Quality Controls set - you'll be happy you did.

Cheers,

Pete