1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning SHN Files

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Jersey57, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Jersey57

Jersey57 Member

Recently I used Nero 7 Ultra to burn a shn file show. As I watched the time remaining dwindle to zero, the file was only half burned and kept going. The time then reset itself at least twice. At the end of the burn it saidit was successful but the error was about some kind of under burn. I used Nero Express. Could it be that I need a plugin or ? Thanks.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Shn is a very rare and very old format. It was the very first compressed lossless format that I know of. I convert the files from the get-go to a modern format.

I will note the audio quality of those files was very poor (under 100 BR while lossless is over 1,000 BR) so the person creating the files was clueless as to how to preserve audio responcibly. A low BR mp3 is a more 'responcible' format for all the shn audio files I have heard. I have heard hundreds of them.

My suggestion is convert them as I do.

3. Jersey57

Jersey57 Member

Explain how it is that you convert them. These files while rare, are still used on some torrent sites.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

That is because the files were made in the 70s. Nobody uses shn files these days.

Yes, that is a very good question. The only way I know to convert them is to use a professional converter, dbPowerAmp. You can try it for free of 30 days. It is really a must have for torrent use.

It is also the best ripper and converter I know about.

Yes, it is actually conciderbly better ripper than EAC. Which is claimed to be the best. Both use a secure mode and Accurip but PA's responce to a bad read is way different. It will keep switching read modes until it gets a 'lock'. You can use some of the same read mode with EAC manually but you have to do the whole track using the same read. PA will go back to the standard mode once it gets the block read. It is possible a failed disk with EAC can be read perfectly with PA.

I rip obscure CDs. The paid for database you use with the ripper dwarfs freedb. If you are doing a lot of 'stuff' 25 USDs/year is a small price to pay.

The batch converter is most useful you you are a torrent user. Treat your self to the best for at least 30 days. You might want to DL most of your shn files first. Most of them are large and slow. Most are public domain Garcia/NRPS performances.