1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacement battery for creative zen vision w?

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by kaihofan, Apr 11, 2009.

1. kaihofan

kaihofan Member

hi i just won one of these on ebay but seeing its secondhand, i'd prob get better batt life if i replace the battery.. But i couldn't find anywhere that sells one.. Can anyone help please? Thanks

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I just bought a real nice 16 g mp4 player that has 35 hr battery life for 60 USD. Mp3 players are throw away now. I would play it until the battery dies and buy a new player. You are going to have to pay at least have the price of a new player. Then something else will go.

3. coachop

coachop Member

Keep searching Ebay one will turn up soon or later.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

coachop, I don't think you 'get' the problem. Maybe I am just over guessing. The problem is they have been comming out with a new generation of battery each year for the last two years. What I just bought has 4x the battery life of the batteries of 2006-7. You can't put a new generation of battery in an old modle and expect it to work.

You do not change batteries in mp3/mp4 player like you do a flashlight. Not only do you have to take the player apart, cut out the old battery and solder in a new one without over heating any other the other circuts (killing it), but you will still have the same battery. The players are tight. The battery instalation is what costs unless you do it yourself. The prices I have seen ranged for 60-100 USD to install a new battery, the battery is free with the installation. By the time you pay for shipping you are out over 100 USDs for the SAME but newer battery. My battery has not lost 10% battery life in 4 years. I just bought a new state of the art player (16g, vivid display) with 35 hrs life for 65 USD. Replacing a battery for a mp3 player is like repairing a TV. You can buy a new better one for less money.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  5. coachop

coachop Member

The original poster (not you) said he has a Zen Vision W. That has a battery pack on the outside & is a separate part & not an internal one. You I take it may have a Zen or something similar. They are not the same at all. That one is flash memory internal battery soldered to the board connected & replaceable if you have the skill to do so.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Sorry about that, my bad! I got this mixed up with a different post about putting together a 'Frankinstein' ipod.

7. coachop

coachop Member

If you are still looking for a battery. This seller has one. Only ships in the U.S.Read the entire auction description

8. Interestx

Interestx Member

The original Zen Vision battery is identical, only the outer plastic casing changed.
    You just need to carefully remove the plastic casing from your dead battery and replace it with the new one and close the casing back up.

I have just bought a 3300mAh battery (well up from the usual 1400 - 1650mAh rating) on Amazon UK.
    £12 delivered.

The Zen Vision W is a great player but sadly it is now discontinued and Creative aren't so good at supporting them.

(you might be interested in knowing that should you face hard drive problems you can easily upgrade the hard drive to 120gb.
    The New Toshiba 1.8" 120GB MK1214GAH Hard Drive ZIF is the one you want.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  9. Interestx

Interestx Member

Just to update.

My 3300mAh Zen Vision battery came today.
    It's deeper than the standard Zen Vision W battery (1650mAh).

So, swapping the plastic casing wouldn't work (the new battery wouldn't fit in it).
    Then I noticed that the only difference between the Vision & the Vision W battery is an extra pair of mounting lugs & slots halfway along the long sides of the ZVW unit & its battery.
    Both have the same locating slots in each corner.

So, a quick trim of the lugs on the ZVW unit and now a Zen Vision battery fits nice and snugly and I don't have to muck about swapping plastic cases (which in fairness is only 4 tiny screws - one is under a 'warranty void sticker if you can't see it straight away).

The battery colour is different but mine is in a leather case & you don't see it anyways.

I reckon it's worth doing, certainly ZVW batteries seem to be incredibly rare whereas ZV batteries are easily found - & at higher mAh ratings than standard.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009