1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVX format to avi format to burn on to DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ganymede1, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ganymede1

ganymede1 Member

Hi,

I hope this is the right spot. If there is a more appropriate forum for my questions, please me know. Okay, off we go...

I just downloaded a video conference that is in 10 parts in the .dvx format, which I am not used to dealing with.

I want to be able to burn these 10 files onto a DVD but I am not sure how to do it with .dvx. I am used to just dealing with avi format and burning using Nero.

Could I possibly convert these files into avi format and then burn as usual? If so, what conversion application would you recommend? It doesn't have to be a free one, just the best one, and maybe fastest, you can think of. Also, if I convert to avi, will I lose picture quality?

Perhaps, another format, other than avi, would be best to maintain the best quality, because the files are already degraded a bit, so I don't want to make the picture even worse. If I use another format, then what program would I use? Could I still use Nero?

If you have other suggestions on how to deal with getting these files onto a DVD for viewing I am all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sky

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

First try renaming the extension to .avi and see if Nero Vision can handle them.

3. ganymede1

ganymede1 Member

@ MysticE

Your suggestion to switch from dvx to avi worked fine. I was able to play the newly coded files in VLC media player. However, I was NOT able to burn the avi file using Nero. Nero Vision said it was unable insert the file:( I am confused as to why it is doing that. Now that I renamed the file format to avi, isn't it just like a regular avi file? Or is it somehow different?

How do you suggest I proceed with burning these files to a disk, or is it not possible? Thanks.

Sky

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

No. I thought maybe it would work so as you could use Nero.

Rename them back to divx and get DVD Flick (free).

5. ganymede1

ganymede1 Member

I did as you said and renamed the files back to the dvx format. Then I download the DVD Flick and after two attempts I was final able to burn the dvx file to a DVD disc and then play it on my regular DVD player. Yeah! I am not sure if DVD Flick will take over for Nero in my life, but it certainly did the trick now. Mission accomplished!Thanks again for your help!!

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Your welcome. That was an easy one. :)