1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring MiniDV tape to Computer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by hachin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. hachin

hachin Member

I have a Pansaonic PV-GS200 Camcorder and is very much a novice at transferring recorded videos from the miniDV tape to my computer and edit and burn to a DVD.
    Can anyone tell how to do this - detailed step by step please - and what software, preferably free until I gain some experience, I need to accomplish this. DV Studio which came with the camera is apparently only for transferring still shots.

I believe I can only transfer via my USB port on the computer, assuming that Firewire is not an option.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Firewire is the only way to capture those miniDV tapes. WinDV is a free program that will capture those tapes, but if you want to edit them, you need to get another program.

3. hachin

hachin Member

Thanks for the advise re: firewire but I don't have that type of port on my camcorder. Can I still transfer via my USB port?

4. coremega

coremega Member

Yes buy a Firewire to USB Adapter. That should do the trick for you.

You can find it at most retail digital camera stores online like

http://www.megacameras.com

5. dailun

dailun Active member

@coremega

That is a perfectly correct generic answer, but in this case is totally inapplicable, as this camera doesn't use USB for video transfer, only still images.

@Hachin

You have a 1394 (firewire interface) on the camera. It's the DV interface. See page 54 of the manual.

"PC Connection With DV Interface
    Cable
    A video clip can be transferred directly to your PC
    (Personal Computer) via a DV Interface Cable
    (optional) using products and software from a
    number of video editing software companies.
    Using products from video editing software
    companies allows you to capture and edit video
    clips using the DV Interface."

So, you connect the DV cable to a DV terminal connection on your PC. If you have a Firewire port on your PC you MAY be able to get a DV to Firewire converter. In fact, check the DV cable that came with the camera. it may already have a 1394 (Firewire) connector on the other end.

At that point, Windows Movie Maker should recognize the camera and you can use it to transfer your videos.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. hachin

hachin Member

Thanks - need to read the manual in more detail.

Harry

7. Matt1039

Matt1039 Member

Does anyone know if firewire 800 (1394) would work better than firewire 400 for DV transfer? All I have now is 400 and it is not recording at 100% (maybe more like 85%).

I have a Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV240 with Hi8 tapes. The Sony port is the small firewire port (4-pin) while the other one going to my computer is larger. From what I understand, this means it is 400. The desktop pc is fast, but I'm wondering if the cable will make up that 15% in image quality.

I also have a laptop with the small firewire port, so both ends would be the 4-pin, instead of my current setup with one end being the 6-pin. Would the change make a difference?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Matt, start your own thread about your problem because hijacking another member's thread is a forum rule no no.