1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Suggestions for Audio Card to Record via Midi

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Zeyf414, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Hi. When it comes to audio cards my experience is limited. Since I utilize an audio card for mostly gaming I don't need the best.

However, my son is musically inclined and has been getting into using musical score software. He has a semi-decent keyboard with Midi In/Out jacks. He would like to be able to connect to the PC I built for a second family PC and record his music.

The problem is the current sound card is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE 5.1/7.1. It does very fine for what I built this sytem for but there is no way to connect via midi.

So, any suggestions for a decent card? Again, I don't need the best but something he can start out with and is stable. I couldn't even tell you a budget because I haven't a clue, but let's say no more than $100.

Here are the system specs of the PC he will be using:

EPoX 9NPA+Ultra (socket 939)

Athlon 64 3200+ single core

2 gigs of PC 3200 RAM

250 gig SATA HD 7200rpm

Windows XP w/SP3

Thanks.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

3. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Thanks KillerBug. Your response is much appreciated. Reading up on what you linked it seems that particular M-Audio product has issues with Yahmaha keybopards and that is what my son has.

What do you think of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823143009

The keyboard is a lower scale one and this will be his first foray into recording his music via MIDI/computer so it doesn't have to be the best, just workable.

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Looks like a winner, although neither review says anything about Yamaha keyboards...so I am not 100% sure. A bit of google searching might be a good idea before you spend the money.