1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Foobar converting just as good conversion as RazorLame?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by guglygp, May 4, 2009.

1. guglygp

guglygp Member

My dilemma is that presets such alt preset standard, or alt preset extreme on razor lame and probably other front ends have some advantages such as being preset.

"Alt presets trigger a bunch of code-level enhancements that are not possible to achieve with command line switches. Therefore, alt presets are for our convenience." (from item #6 at http://www.geocities.com/altbinariessoundsmusicclassical/vbr-encoding.htm)

My question is as much as I would like to use Razor Lame and its presets, etc to convert to mp3. It cannot convert directly from FLAC to Mp3 like Foobar2000 can. Since most things I convert are FlAC, I use Foobar. So am I losing quailty by using Foobar to convert using Lame. Or am i just being silly since Foobar still uses lame, and kind of has presets such as V0-245kbps Vbr, V1-225kbps V2-190kbps Vbr. Just dont like knowing that I could be receiving a better quality but same size file if i use razor lame presets (alt preset extreme).

So is their a difference in quailty, even though its miniscule? Is Foobar a good converter in general compared to razorlame? Does it not matter since both use VBR lame? Thanks for anyone who answers :)

2. guglygp

guglygp Member

There is no difference between the output you get if you use -V2 or --alt-preset standard.

Wiki.Com ^

Hopefully someone found this helpful, but I think this answers my question seeing that foobar uses the V system while razor lame tends to prefer presets. But i guess their the same, thanks....