1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer drive and DMA problems

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by KyleReese, May 5, 2009.

1. KyleReese

KyleReese Member

I'm having problems with my Pioneer drive. Every so often it comes out of DMA mode for no apparent reason which causes massive problems(100% core 1 usage). I have to reset the drive to DMA mode everytime I need to us it for something.

My laptop becomes completely unusable, DVD videos become unwatchable and dragging files from DVD-R's can take an age (100MB file takes 10mins to copy to the HDD).

The drive is: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K17RS

Laptop: ACER Aspire 5630, Intel Core2 Duo (1.6GHz), 2GB RAM

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  2. grampyga

grampyga Regular member

Following is from Microsoft web site.

So you can check your system log to see what type of errors your system is having. Basically your drive is having hard time reading/writing. As my understanding, those error could be caused by unclean lens or damaged media. So cleaning your drive’s lens might help. Also check the media before putting in your drive. Dusting the drive with compressed (canned) air might help too. Other than that, there is not much you can do. You need to look for a new drive.

3. KyleReese

KyleReese Member

Thanks for the advice.

I'll give the lens a clean and see how it performs after that but I'll more than likely replace the drive anyway.