1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide to H264/AVS Video Converter

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by jaydee81, May 6, 2009.

1. jaydee81

jaydee81 Member

Dear Afterdawn community,

After being a quite follower of the forums and guides, I am finally not able to find some info around here.

I'd like to convert a few DVDs and *.mkv to *.avi using the H264 codec.
    Main reason is I use a medea-player in the living room (zyxel dma-1000) and it does not play *.mkv or DVD images. I could convert using divx/xvid of course, but I thought since H264 seems to be the new best/hip thing, I might as well switch.

I use AVS Video Converter and am just not sure about all the options. I posted in the software discussion forum, but I guess the options to encode/reencode should be the same in whatever software as long as the codec is the same, but since there is no H264 forum, hope this will get a result.

Does anybody know of a guide available somewhere or is maybe willing to compile the most important info here?

I am actually satisfied with the quality produced using the standart setting in AVS and just playing a bit with 1 Pass - Bitrate, but I'd like still like to get more in-depth with this.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    JD

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

If you have FFDshow installed,
    you can create an H264 avi file inVirtualdub. Very simple to do.