1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio splitter/switch for Headphones/X360/PC .. help.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Distrance, May 10, 2009.

1. Distrance

Distrance Regular member

'' No PC audio chat here '' ... So where's the PC audio chat then ? Stupid forum..

Well so Im not sure which section this goes to but lets get to the point.. I'm planning to buy a headphones with surround sound that I can plug into my PC. However, I'd like to use these headphones also for my Xbox360. But I do not want to buy two headphones, neither always unplug the cables when I'm switching between PC and Xbox360.

So I need something like splitter/switch. But truth is, I have no idea what I am looking for.

First I thought this would solve my problem : [​IMG]

But as you can see, it only has 1 of those jacks and then 2 of those where you can plug them to. Well my Xbox360 transfers audio through HDMI, but I also have this special cable for it where I can plug a green jack to it, so I don't need to connect headphones directly to TV.

What I need is like above, but with one of those where I can plug the jacks from the headphones to, and two sets of those 3x wires that I can then plug to my PC, and the green one to my X360 for Stereo audio.

Yep.. I suck at explaining because I don't know the english words for all of these things.. Neither do I know if something like this exists.. But if it does, please do help and point me in the right direction :(.

Oh and.. Splitter would be better than switch because then I could hear sound simultaneously from X360 and PC.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Thread teleported to a more relevant forum.

Here's what i use to enable switching of my Logitech X-230 speakers between an xbox 360 (connected to TV via HDMI) and an old type xbox and a laptop. The xbox 360 outputs sound thru the TV speakers and thru the leads so it works very well.
    It's just a cheapy 3-way RCA audio switch and an RCA adapter lead, about £5.00 inc P&P from eBay. I don't use the yellow video connection, this is just a cheapy method for audio switching only.

I also use the same type of switch and leads to switch another set of X-230's (doesn't matter what sort of speakers or headphones as the output from the speakers or any headphones is a standard 3.5mm male audio connector) between an xbox 360 (connected to TV via Component cables) and old type xbox and a PC.

These switches can be bought standalone or with the odd cable supplied. I buy them standalone and add my own cables.

[​IMG]

The lead below goes to a PC audio-out socket, use one of these for each PC (it connects to the front of the RCA switch) ~

[​IMG]

The lead below goes to a games console (it connects to the front of the RCA switch) ~

[​IMG]

The lead below goes from the back of the RCA switch to the output from the speaker system ~

[​IMG]

As to hearing sound from 360 and PC at the same time, maybe something similar to what i posted can be rigged up.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  3. Distrance

Distrance Regular member

Hmm.. I'm not quite sure I understood how to set this up.

Nevertheless, the headphones I'm planning to use are with surround sound, so how would I use surround sound ?

I mean.. that switch has 3 ports in it but they're completely different color than the one displayed on the picture above, which is also the color of the headphone jacks.

And I'm not quite sure from your explanation how to plug them to the Xbox 360. X360 allows only Stereo sound afaik. and so far I've been using my X1's with a special adapter ( which apparently only works if you have X360 Elite ), to connect the headphones directly to the X360 while using hdmi.

Also the cables you displayed are indeed fitting for the TV speakers, but how would I plug them to my PC ? I don't think those are right type of cables for pc output.

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm still quite confused as I don't know much about this stuff =P.

-------------------------------------------------------
    I actually thought of another method but I'd like to hear some opinions wether it works or not. I could buy simply 2x Female 1x Male splitter for Stereo audio. My headphones use Surround, but I would use the stereo adapter for only the stereo cable from the headphones. Then, I would connect my X360 and the splitter with a Male to Male cable.

However, my friend warned me that if I used it like this, the splitter might make the sound quieter and weaker, which obviously isn't good when we're talking about surround sound.. That's why having a splitter or a switch would be better.. So what are your thoughts ?

4. creaky

The (male) headphone socket ie the output from the speakers go to the adapter cable in the smaller pic i posted.
    My 360's are Elites, i use one of the 360's many included connectors to connect to a cheapy RCA cable similar to the middle pic i posted.
    I can't remember what connectors output surround/stereo or whatever, but the sound from all devices is pretty damn good :)

From the below example pic - my HDMI-connected 360 is using the HDMI cable (obviously) and for sound i'm using the topmost adapter with a cheapy RCA lead. The component-connected 360 is using the component cable but the audio connectors go off to another cheapy RCA lead.

It's probably not quite what you're after but i find it works a treat. I just wanted something dirt cheap and simple, i got sick of constantly swapping cables over every 2 minutes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  5. Distrance

Distrance Regular member

Ahaha.. I'm still not quite sure what do you mean.

I mean..I got the cable too that goes below where HDMI is plugged in and it has Red/White plugs. However, I used adapter for that so I can plug headphones directly. Anyway I can scrap that adapter and use those cables indeed.

What I don't understand is how to connect PC to the Switch. The Switch has 3 Inputs and 1 Output. That basically means the Headphones are connected to the Output slots right ? So how do I connect my PC to the Input when PC itself has only Input slots.

And, like I said, if the headphones have surround sound with Red/Green/Black jacks would they even work with that Switch ?

Worth noting
    that I don't need to hear the sound same time from PC and X360. That would be a definite plus, but it's not required. What I want is to get rid of unplugging and plugging the cables when switching to X360/PC, which is impossible in my case where the PC is hardly accessible and the sound panel with surround is only on the backpanel of the computer.

6. creaky

As i say, i have no idea what the different connectors output, i'll have to dig out the manuals; as long as the sound is decent and sounds sort of come from where they're supposed to, i'm happy so haven't bothered to investigate exactly what comes out of the various xbox connectors.

As to the PC side of things, one PC has simple (onboard) connections, one connection being green so i use that to output to the switch. The other PC has (onboard) surround sound. Again i just use the green connection out the back of the PC.

The adapter in my smallest pic in my first post goes into the back of the switch and connects to the male headphone connector output from the speakers. The red and white connectors on the front of the switch are connected to each device (some with female gender changers in between) via the cheapy red and white RCA leads, and i don't use the yellow connectors on the switch.

7. creaky

Any joy with this ?

8. Distrance

Distrance Regular member

Well in the end I didn't end up buying surround headphones lol so this thread was kinda useless haha.

I thought it'd save me a lot trouble, plus I don't know if having surround headphones would have had been THAT great, considering the price they would have been if ordered from US. ( plus warranty would break ).

So anyway, I ended up just deciding on getting normal splitter for stereo headphones, though I still haven't gotten to that either lol.