1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viewing AVI files from Morpheus

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Transa, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Transa

Transa Member

Sorry in advance for not knowing much about video codecs.
    I recently downloaded a file from Morpheus with DivX in the title, but the file extension was AVI. In Windows Media Player, the file opens and plays but with no audio or video. In the DivX "Playa", I get the message "the location you selected could not be opened". In Quicktime, I get the message "you may experience a problem in playing a video track in *movie* because there is an error in the program", after which nothing will play. Neither will it work in any player if I give it the DivX extension. Can anyone help me figure out how to play the file?
    Thank you.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

It's almost certain that the file is corrupt -- this happens almost too often when downloading stuff from P2P networks.

3. me9050

me9050 Member

The exact same thing happens to me, except i message the other user and he says that the file works perfectly

Its not only 1 file, over 10 files i have downloaded are like this(although some work), so its probably not a case of file corruption

Can somebody help?

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Hm, if it works with someone else, then the problem is definately with the codecs and the files are not corrupted. You should try to find out the type of the video and see what codecs you might be missing. Few typical codecs:

-WMV8 from Microsoft -- very common
    -WMA8 from Microsoft
    -DivX 3.11 -- as told in many threads, some DivX3 movies don't like the new DivX4 codec and therefor you should uninstall all of your DivX codecs first, install DivX3.11 then and install DivX4 after that and when the DivX4 installer asks if you would like to use DivX4 for DivX3 playback, answer "no"