1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Defrag questions

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jcalton88, May 13, 2009.

1. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Alright guys and gals, I have been negligent to my computer. Haven't backed it up in a little over a month and haven't ran Disk Defrag in longer. After trying(and failing) to install Open Solaris as a separate boot on my external HDD, I noticed my boot menu was running really slow. I currently have Vista and Windows 7 running as dual boot.

When the boot menu comes up, it loads on the screen in increments, I.E. About an inch of the screen(starting from top) shows, then the rest shows in one inch increments until the full boot menu is showing. Everything loads ok, and Windows isn't noticeably slower, but it was bothering me. So I decided to run the Disk Defrag in hopes it would help out some.

Well, I started the Defrag around 2:15 P.M. It is now 1:45 A.M. and it is still defraging C: drive. I told it to defrag all my drives, which is C, E, F, G, H, I. I know thats a lot, but having more than one computer I figured I could afford to wait the time for it to get done. They all needed it anyway.

The C and E drives are partitions on one disk. The C drive is about 220 GB, E is around 80. The others are on seperate HDDs that I only use at certain times, so they shouldn't affect anything I don't believe.

My question is, how long should a Defrag on C be, knowing it is 220 GB's. It has been running coming up on 12 hours, and is still on C drive, which is what it started with. The wonderful programmers at MS took the progress bar out(who needs it anyway, right?) so I have no idea if any progress is being made. But I don't want to stop the defrag and screw up information on my HDD.

2. jeeevan

jeeevan Member

Unless the drive is very badly fragmented or out of free space, that may be a little too long. And like you said the lack of a visual display makes things difficult with Vista. I think its taking that long since the defragger works in the background at a slow pace.
    Maybe you could go in for a better defragger like Diskeeper which gives you the option of automatic defrag even while you use the system.

3. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Thanks. I figured out the problem.

In all actuality, there was no problem. As I said, I started the defrag around 2:15 PM. After I started it, I left for work. I returned and checked it at 1:45 AM. What I didn't realize, is my computer was configured to automatically defrag on the 13th of every month at 1:00 AM. SO, when I checked it, it had only been defragging for 45 minutes.

And I got Defraggler too, and I like it alot better. Will use in the future.

Thanks