1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio is gone?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by XMayhemX, May 19, 2009.

1. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

i got a avi. file with this

0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
    48000Hz 112 kb/s tot , Stereo

the video will play on my ps3, but i can't get any audio...

according to my research, PS3 won't play MPEG-1 Layer 3's, yet my other 2 avi's have audio MPEG-1 Layer 3 and their audio works fine on my PS3...

I tried to use audacity to raise the volume of the audio within the avi, but it took too long to load.. so i rsorted to recoding it using SUPER.. with mixed/horrible results...

So my 2 questions are this...
    1. Why isn't this MPEG-1 Layer 3 audio working? when other ones with the same codec are working properly..

I converted it with SUPER... and the audio works now.. BUT
    the audio is now delayed.. like the ppl in the avi's lips are moving but the audio is late... like its running behind , delayed from the video...

I've never gotten this result with SUPER before...

I think i raised the bitrate too high.. could that cause this delay?
    2. Should i lower the bitrate to what it was originally?

I still have the original avi with MPEG-1 Layer 3 audio codec...
    I asked this in here cuz thats the codec it is now...

Any other ideas to get it working properly... SUPER's a neat program, but i can never get the result to look good. I always screw up the bitrate, or the video scale...

I know its a codec problem.. cuz the audio plays fine on the pc, just not on the ps3... which is odd, considering other MPEG-1 Layer 3's work on my Ps3, which is also odd, considering some site said MPEG-1 Layer 3's are not compatible with ps3...

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Hi Mayhem

1) it *may* be that the MP3 is in Variable Bit Rate [VBR] on one and Constant Bit Rate [CBR]. It seems unlikely that the PS3 plays one and not the other, but its the only difference i can think of.

2) i've never heard of Super@ doing that either, but you may find you are able to shift the audio back into sync using VirtualDub. Or even turn the volume up on the original with it.

Regards
    Nick

3. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

Its not just super, everytime i use any program to encode this file.. the A and V is out of sync...

i used a divx converter to make a divx file, and its out of sync,

I used SUPER to make an avi with divx video and mp3 audio, and its out of sync

sorry i lied earlier... its not the audio delayed.. its the video delayed.. like a person will say something, then 2 seconds later the video will catch up and the persons lips will move.

I have been playing around with VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod
    but i don't quite understand how the program works... there is no convert button.. its weird... i need a tutorial for it bad.. i searh on this site for one.

here is the original files audio codec
    and GSpot says CBR

- - Type ACM
    - - Function Decoder
    DSH 4CC FmtTag: 0x0055
    FIL File Description MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM
    FIL Company Name Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS
    FIL File Version 1, 9, 0, 0401
    FIL Internal Name l3codec.acm
    FIL Legal Copyright Copyright © 1996-1999 Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS
    FIL Original Filename l3codec.acm.mui
    FIL Product Name MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for MSACM
    FIL Product Version 1, 0, 0, 0
    REG Driver File C:\Windows\SysWOW64\l3codeca.acm
    REG Merit 0x00200000

any ideas on how to fix this so the audio will work on my ps3?

4. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

i used virtualDubMod and saved the file.. and it started encoding... Is that the trigger? savign a file in virtualDubMod?

anyways.. its gonna be like 16gbs in size so, thats kinda dumb...

next...

5. XMayhemX

XMayhemX Regular member

well, i can get it to work with a ps3 media server... which transcodes it on the fly...
    but it does have minimal weird parts where the video speeds up for a lil bit here and there to catch it up...

but i would like it if i could use my normal media server...