1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't clear internet explorer address bar?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Dawg78, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Dawg78

Dawg78 Member

I have just noticed that I can't delete the web addresses in my address bar. When I pull down the address bar dropdown button no addresses are shown, but when I type in an address some begin to appear at www.? I have cleared the histroy, cleared the autocomplete, I am also running historykill, and nothing is working....I've never had this problem up to 3 days ago? Any ideas what's wrong or how to fix?

WinXP Home
    HP Pavilion 7955

2. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

Hi dawg,
    You say you cleared autocomplete,But have you turned autocomplete off?

3. Dawg78

Dawg78 Member

No I haven't turned autocomplete off, because I use it to fill out several forms, and sign on names....I did just check off the remeber web addresses box, that will stop the issue, but I wasn't sure if it was possible to totaly make them disappear?

4. pr1mate

pr1mate Member

Hi, I have spent the past 3 hours trying to clear the autocomplete history. It seems to share the run bar, windows explorere address bar, and ie address bar. I have searched the web, gotten tweakUI, and X-Setup Pro (very cool anyway) and I am just stumped. If anyone knows how to do this could you write to me? lcat31@hotmail.com

5. 5ltr5spd

5ltr5spd Member

I had the same problem, it is because of your index.dat file.

If you go to www.towercitygroup.com on the home page at the bottom left you will see top 5 downloads, download spider this will clear out all your index.dat files that are on your computer. It cleared it right up for me.

Also, I have for the last month been using mozilla firefox and man let me tell you it is so much faster than IE and you don't have to worry about the stupid microsoft quirks, give it a try.

Hope this helps

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Firefox puts IE to shame.

7. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

U try this link
    http://ieasysoft.com/wincleanerfree.exe
    or
    http://ieasysoft.com/cleaner/wincleaner.exe
    I'm not sure if your computer can read the font but it's not english, but one of my friends advised me to use this program...it's pretty simple...
    after you download the program. install it.
    when you get in the main window click on the "history !@#$*(" icon.another window should come up...
    Then check everything...except for the blue writing which is suppose to clear everytime windows starts..
    and after that there are 2 buttons on the bottom right screen. click the left one...and then your url should be clear as well as your media player url and recent document thingy in the start menu...

Hoped this helped...

8. Vular

Vular Member

Cool...firefox, I just have mozilla right now, might download firefox, what's it like?

9. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Go to ccleaner.com
    program is called ccleaner
    cleans out everything and it's free!!!
    Try it...I use it everyday

10. quackup

quackup Member

I think there is a virus that corrupts the Index.dat file to reinstall a bunch of URLs that makes clearing the history file and deleting the registery ineffective. Turning off auto complete only masks the problem. I think that Index.dat suite works to erase the Index.dat file but I have no idea if it addresses the problem of any underlying virus, which may or may not have some alternative and malicious purpose.

11. Ponyboy

Ponyboy Guest

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member