1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Korean SMI + AVI

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by ironhell1, May 22, 2009.

1. ironhell1

ironhell1 Member

Okay... I've been banging my heads for the past several days now and have read tons of post and tried loads of programs to combine korean smi file with the related avi.

So what's happening is that in Subtitle Workshop, I am able to get the smi file to show up properly (when I choose Hangeul as the encoding or whatever on the left hand side). Then I am forced to convert it to SRT or SSA to work with AVI-Mux... However, when I use AVI-Mux to combine the files, the output AVI file shows unreadable subtitles, just a bunch of junk instead of Korean.

Please advise, thanks!

Raymond
    P.S. I also tried VobSub to no avail

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

3. ironhell1

ironhell1 Member

Thanks for your response. I just tried but I am still running into the same problem as before which is that when I add the subtitle, the subtitle is garbage characters instead of Korean :(

I know the subtitle files are good because they read just fine with Subtitle Workshop, any ideas? Thanks!

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

5. ironhell1

ironhell1 Member

I mean the subs work, as in, they display just fine in Subtitle Workshop (and they play just fine on some computer programs that play Korean movies (it looks at the avi file PLUS the smi file which is in Korean).

In Subtitle Workshop, I just have to change it from ANSI to Hangeul for it to display properly, so maybe it's an encoding issue?

I'll check out AllToAvi, thanks.

Raymond

6. ironhell1

ironhell1 Member

Yeah, still no go :(

This is what I see as the output:

[​IMG]

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Don't know but I would still try to find new sub's you wouldn't have to convert from smi first even though the sub's you have seem fine.

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What program are you trying to use to hardcode/display the subtitles?
    Whatever you use, try to select as encoding method UTF-8, see if that helps.

9. neulite

neulite Member

I feel your pain and I joined this forum just to reply to your query. The problem is the language settings on your computer. If you are using vista you need to do a couple things for this to work. Now I don't have experience using your method of hardsubbing but this is universal.

Go to control panel, select regional and language settings, select administrative. Then click on 'system locale'. Change your system locale to Korea, Japan, China, whatever non-roman based language you are trying to hard-sub. The thing that sucks is that your system will need a REBOOT. Once rebooted your subtitles will come out legible. Email for questions: neulite30@gmail.com