1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re: AVI files to DVD with Avi2DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by CShirey, May 24, 2009.

1. CShirey

CShirey Guest

Hope I have the correct forum; if not, I apologize. I was pretty sure I had followed the directions accurately but 6 hours later, I find that I have a Video TS file and an empty Audio TS file. I just read in the AVI2DVD notes that the audio has been encoded to AC3 for better sound. This is new to me; when burning the DVD do I just move the Video TS folder and the .ac3 file to burn the compilation in IMG Burn?

Two more really newbie questions - sorry! How do I know the aspect ratio of the source and the quality of the original sound to base the bitrate on? All I have is an .avi file.

Thanks for taking this on.

cs.

2. attar

attar Senior member

The AUDIO_TS folder is always empty - the actual audio stream is incorporated in the VOB files (in the VIDEO_TS folder).

With ImgBurn, select 'Write files/folders to disc' and simply drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto the window.

Generally, the aspect ratio of the source can be found using 'GSpot' or 'MediaInfo'.

I found AVI2DVD to be fussy about file names and paths, so prefer DVD Flick.

3. CShirey

CShirey Guest

Thanks so much for the answers. This is not the first .avi I have worked with but I could not remember which program I used so I decided to try AVI2DVD. I have already downloaded DVD Flick and will be trying that out next.
    I never noticed that the Audio TS folder is empty; in the IMGBURN instructions included with the AVI2DVD, it tells you to make sure you add both the Video TS and Audio TS files to the compilation. Why?

You might have accidentally answered a question I've had but never asked(and it's the highlight of my day!) I have folders saved with .BUP, .IFO and .VOB files - would these then be considered the contents of a Video TS file and I can reburn them from there? They are only listed by the name of the DVD so I wasn't sure.

Thank you for everything. Maybe I'll get to see this concert after all!

4. attar

attar Senior member

The AUDIO_TS folder was part of the original DVD specification - it's alleged that there are DVD players who need to see it present, else the DVD will be rejected.
    If you burn the VIDEO_TS folder using ImgBurn, it won't tell you that the AUDIO_TS folder is missing - it silently creates one for you.

Yes, ImgBurn will accept any name folder containing a valid set of DVD files and ask you if you wish to burn it as a VIDEO_TS folder.

5. CShirey

CShirey Guest

Thank you again for your assistance. I especially like understanding the information behind the answer; thank you for taking the time to explain it.

Have a great weekend!

6. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.

7. 023ivy

023ivy Guest

SPAM removed

"023ivy (account created on 2 Jul, 2009) has used same IP address as nathan023 (banned on 1 Jul, 2009)"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

FWIW Avi2Dvd has finally been updated:

Whats new v. 0.5
    New : First stable release

Added : More avi sources supported
    Added : Latest Ffdshow
    Added : Latest Xvid
    Added : Chinese, Norwegian and Serbian languages
    Fixed : Interface not supported error
    Fixed : No audio found error