1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compaq Presario V2000 Problems.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by killer595, May 25, 2009.

1. killer595

killer595 Member

i have a compaq presario v2000 and its about two to three years old, the problem is that i cant get the battery to charge i bought a new 12 cell battery and when i plug the charger in it switches to ac power and doesnt charge the battery at all i used the hp battery checker program and it said the battery was fine, so im dumbfounded in what it could be so any good info is better than none.

P.S. im getting a new laptop in a few months but i want to give this one to my parents so if it werent for that i wouldnt be spending money on this thing.

2. mediate

mediate Member

When you plug the AC adaptor into the laptop, does it flicker the light that looks like a plug. If so, you will probably have to resolder the DC jack on the motherboard. If not, you may be able to charge the battery if you keep playing with the position of the AC cord, but be warned that this can cause a short-circuit and you may be left like what happened with me. Also, from what I have heard about older compaq laptops, by removing the battery before it's plugged in then inserting it 10-20 seconds later, it will charge. But this is a rumor and I'm not sure if it will work. Try any of these, though. You might have some success.

3. killer595

killer595 Member

well also after taking out the battery and running on just ac power, i cant look, touch, or think about the plug because it'll just turn off and since my charger has a breaker on it sometimes it'll trip and i have to unplug it and plug it in. so i decided and bought a new dc plug and im gonna get someone to put it in, after i do that and i still cant get it to charge what else could it be/should i do?

P.S. FYI I've burned through 3 chargers and im 100% sure it's because of that plug.

4. mediate

mediate Member

it's definitely the dc plug on the motherboard that's your problem. smell the back of the laptop, around where the plug is. If there is a strange smell after being used for a long time plugged in, then STOP USING IT!!! You may or may not have a short circuit. The smell should be something arid and plastic-y, really bad smell. If you don't smell anything, you could cause it to short circuit by using that laptop with a broken internal plug. My suggestion is to find on the internet the internal plug that is identical to your laptop. Since I don't have that laptop, I cannot recommend anything, but eBay might have something. You just have to search. But try not to use the laptop too much or, when using, try not to force the cord in so it always stays plugged in/charging, as, after some time, it will short circuit it after some time.

5. killer595

killer595 Member

Hey thanks, i already ordered one since i saw it wasn't charging my laptop and a lot of people have told me that could be the problem so as soon as i get the part in I'll get someone to swap the old one out with the new on and ill have him look at the location of the plug and repair any damage seen, (i know a guy who works on motherboards and other circuit boards)so i hope this fixes it and since i wont get my new one for a little bit i need to get the most life out of it possible. Thanks for your help.

6. killer595

killer595 Member

well i got my board back with my new plug and after putting it all back together i plugged my battery in and after a few seconds the charging light came on and than turned off after getting the hp battery checker program i checked it and it says its a good battery but it still wont charge it now i dont know what it could be but any thing now is better than nothing