AfterDawn Forums

WBFS Drive not recognized by Wii

This discussion thread has 21 messages.

I was able to format the external WBFS on my PC and load/copy the ISO from my PC to the drive.

But when I try to use any of three different wii soft loaders they all fail to recognize the USB HD.

It is a Lacie drive, sometimes it is IDed on the PC as Samsung FWIW...

My kid thinks I'm the http://www.knoxfamily.us/Best%20Dad.html Best Dad in the World
▼▼ This topic has 20 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Did you have the drive formated FAT32 or NTSC when formating it to WBFS?

Make sure it was formated FAT32 before formating it to WBFS format.
It was not formatted at all. I created the partition, assigned a drive letter and then used WBFS Manager to format the drive

My kid thinks I'm the http://www.knoxfamily.us/Best%20Dad.html Best Dad in the World
Format the drive to FAT32 make sure it is set as a primary partition.

Then format the drive WBFS and see if that works.
Originally posted by dabagboy:
It was not formatted at all. I created the partition, assigned a drive letter and then used WBFS Manager to format the drive
Did you ever figure out how to get the Lacie to work? I was able to format my lacie with the 3.0 manager and add games but once it connected to the Wiii, it would not be recognized.

Any ideas...
I was able to format the external WBFS on my PC and load/copy the ISO from my PC to the drive.

But when I try to use any of three different wii soft loaders they all fail to recognize the USB HD.

It is a Lacie drive, sometimes it is IDed on the PC as Samsung FWIW...
Did you check and see if it's listed as a compatible drive?
Link
If your Lacie drive is a year or two old that could be the case.

Also, make sure the USB cable you're hooking to the Wii isn't any longer than a foot or two, especially if it's a USB powered drive. I did some testing with another non-compatible device and found that with a long cable (about 6 feet) it wouldn't recognize it at all, but with a short one (about 1 foot) it would recognize.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 May 2009 @ 11:41
Originally posted by stacker02:
Did you ever figure out how to get the Lacie to work? I was able to format my lacie with the 3.0 manager and add games but once it connected to the Wiii, it would not be recognized.

Any ideas...
Honestly I own 2xLaCie 500Gb drives by FA Porsche. I hate them with a passion, as I've replaced 4 power supplies for them over 2 years. Another one is failing now as half the time when I plug them in the PC will not even recognize it.

So my "solution" was to buy another 500Gb Ext Drive...I went with AcomData this time.

weirdest thing - my brand new WD Passport 500GB, previously recognized by my Wii 'is no longer recognized (after a hard reset during a game that was stuck). BUT - WBFS Manager 3.0 read it without any problem.
Any ideas? I'm desperate!!!
Originally posted by dovs:
weirdest thing - my brand new WD Passport 500GB, previously recognized by my Wii 'is no longer recognized (after a hard reset during a game that was stuck). BUT - WBFS Manager 3.0 read it without any problem.
THIS is why I refuse to convert to USB, even if I did I would still be burning my DVD's for backup.

1) Backup Launcher is old. Neogamma is new http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158884
1A) to get the Neogamma Channel http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=165485
2) Superdump (Requires homebrew) dump your game in 30 minutes. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/780900
3) Make your Wii skip updates! Use preloader 0.29 and enable skip updates. http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader
4) Scared of Bricking your Wii? Make an NAND backup! Install BootMii http://bootmii.org/install/
Format the drive to FAT on your PC, then get USB Loader 1.5 Brismamod and use that on the Wii to format the drive/partition to WBFS. I could never get the PC programs to format it right.
WBFS manager 3.0.1, vista/win7x64, vantec nexstar CX enclosure, WD scorpio black 320gig, cIOS38_rev12, usb loader 1.1s simple. no problems whatsoever.

WBFS manager always detects drive and can format properly. drive is split in half; 160 WBFS/160 FAT32.

ps2: v7 scph-39001 - independence exploit - hdloader 0.8c - maxtor 300gb hdd
(+[__]%) psp slim ta-085v1: 6.60 PRO B10
wii (powered by bootmii/priiloader): 4.1u - d2x v10beta53-alt (base 56) - configurable usb loader v70r51/devolution r188 - wd scorpio black 7200rpm 320gig w/ ams venus ds2 enclosure

got a whole lot more to list . . .
Should I choose FAT32 or unformatted partition for my WBFS Partition?
The Wii recognized both at least once in GX Loader.

I have a Vantec NexStar, but my Wii isn't picking up my USB Drive. Says no USB Device Detected. I used the flash drive trick to get to the format screen, then swapped to my External USB and it worked.

But I would prefer not to go through this hassle. Any suggestions?
I'm in the EXACT same boat. Can ANYONE help. I can't figure this out for the life of me!!!
You might want to use the new cfg v50 (configurable USB Loader).

You need to make sure you have Hermie's 222/223 installed (you can get directions on installing that in my guide located in my sig).

Anyway this will actually let you convert the games to individual WBFS files using wbfs_file_1.9 which you can then store on a FAT32 partition on your USB device. So no WBFS partition is needed.

Go HERE for more information.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Dec 2009 @ 19:28

Originally posted by larrylje:
You might want to use the new cfg v50 (configurable USB Loader).

You need to make sure you have Hermie's 222/223 installed (you can get directions on installing that in my guide located in my sig).

Anyway this will actually let you convert the games to individual WBFS files using a simple program which you can then store on a FAT32 partition on your USB device. So no WBFS partition is needed.

Go HERE for more information.
much appreciated. I'll try it out and report back.
Ok i've made some progress (many thanks!!) but not completely in the blue yet. So I followed your guide and installed USB Loader GX (instead of doing configurable USB). Now my drive is being recognized!!! However when i go to start Punch Out! I get Error #002. I've heard of many fixes before but I want to ask you for the best solution to this since you've helped me this much and you seem to really know what your doing.

So any suggest fix for this?

EDIT: NM!!!!! WOOHOOO Thank you SOO much!!! I looked in the compatibility list and saw Error #2 fix needs to be on. Then i had a brilliant idea. Lets check the options in USB Loader GX. Lol anyway thanks for all your help. Your the ONLY one who has been able to successfully help me!!!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 17 Dec 2009 @ 21:11
This may be tad bit late now. However, you can try un-plugging the HDD AC adapter; then plug it back in to see if your loader recognizes it.

Originally posted by pryme_H:
This may be tad bit late now. However, you can try un-plugging the HDD AC adapter; then plug it back in to see if your loader recognizes it.
that was the same exact probably i had until i followed larrylje guide that is in his sig. Now everything works great.
I created another USB loader guide for those that want to use FAT32 partition instead of WBFS. This is included in my sig as well.

Originally posted by larrylje:
I created another USB loader guide for those that want to use FAT32 partition instead of WBFS. This is included in my sig as well.

how do u convert wii ciso & iso game format into WBFS file ?
Originally posted by c1steady:
how do u convert wii ciso & iso game format into WBFS file ?
Read the guide. It is in there.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.