AfterDawn Forums

Need to lighten dark video clip

This discussion thread has 8 messages.

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a free, easy to use editing program to lighten a very dark video clip (mpg)? I tried Virtual Dub, using both levels and brightness/contrast filters but preview came out kind of foggy. I saved it anyway as an avi file but the changes didn't show.

What are some other good programs to use?

Thanks!

Gail

Gail
▼▼ This topic has 7 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
You can try AviDemux.
Load/drag the mpg file into AviDemux.
Set the sidebar menu:
'Format' = 'MPEG-PS'
'Audio' = 'Copy'
'Video' ='DVD (lavc)'

Under 'Video' click 'Configure' and set the output Aspect Ratio
Under 'Video' click 'Filters' > 'Colors' > 'MPlayer eq2'
Adjust as required and 'OK' and 'Close' back to main screen.
Back at the main screen, click the 'Save' logo and give the output file a name.
Include the extension in the name - e.g. new_file.mpg

Wow, thank you so much for providing the detailed instructions in addition to the name of the program. I confess I downloaded Avidemux but I couldn't figure out how to use it.

Thanks again. I'll give it a try.

Gail

Gail
attar,

I feel really stupid, but I can't seem to get to the contrast, brightness, etc. page. I followed all the steps you gave me and I get all the way to clicking on colors and then selecting MPlayer eq2. But when I click on it,the Brightness screen does not appear. Nothing happened so I double clicked it and I got a fatal error message.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Gail
Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
Nothing, as far as I can see.
What happens when you double click the 'Contrast' filter instead?
Tried Contrast filter and it works fine. Tried MPlayer eq2 again and got fatal error again.

Gail
I'm using version 2.4.3
Download from here and try.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux/old-versions#download
yeah! worked great. thank you.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.