1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to defrag

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by jboyle, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jboyle

jboyle Regular member

trying to defrag my hd but its saying i havnt space. and ive to delete stuff.went into remove programs but i need and use all them so how can i free up the space needed for a sucsessfull defrag?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. jeeevan

jeeevan Member

Run a diskcleanup, use the built in diskcleanup utility or download CCleaner, this will help free up some space by deleting temporary files etc. With the built in defragger you need atleast 15% free space, you can also transfer or burn stuff like pics and music onto DVDs or transfer some data onto an external drive.
    If you have atleast 5% free space, you could try out DIskeeper09. It defrags even under low free space.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Check your my doc's folder for any large files you no longer need like MPEG's,pictures etc also check any download managers or torrent & P2P programs haven't installed download folders in C which you haven't removed from there to a better loction like my doc's,like previous poster said install ccleaner with all boxes ticked you can free up gb's of space,other than that get a larger hdd or two & an external,you can use ghost or acronis to clone your drive which will install everything from your small hdd to the larger one,google radified forums if you need help with cloning

4. j24ep

j24ep Member

Hello again. The other two guys have pretty much covered all bases. But just out of curiosity, how much space is free on the hard drive you were trying to defrag? And how big is the hard drive itself?