1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Authoring for VOB Files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Genesess, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Genesess

Genesess Member

Hi,

I have vob files, ifo's and bup all belonging to same video.

I referring to a post that Minion posted on a other thread, wherein was said :

You can not Burn a VOB file to DVD and expect it to Play on your DVD player because you need more than Just VOB files...
    You also need to have the IFO and BUP files that corespond to the VOB files so if all you have are VOB files you are going to have to use a DVD authoring Program so you can add menu"s and Chapters and to Format the VOB into a Video_TS folder with VOB,IFO and BUP files in it and then you can Burn the Video_TS folder to DVD in DVD Video mode.....

I am seriously needing to get these files into an avi format with the dvd menu that it was in originally.

I am deaf and so need the subtitles. It is therefore important for me to get the original dvd menu as well.

Can anyone lead me through this process?

Would appreciate it,

2. attar

attar Senior member

If the files are complete you can burn a new DVD.

You cannot carry the menu from a DVD movie to an AVI file.
    If the subtitles are present in the DVD movie files, they have to be extracted to be made available for the new AVI.

3. Genesess

Genesess Member

Thank you attar. How do i convert them to avi as one movie? and can i make a copy on my hardrive of the final file? the one i converted?

Please note these are no longer as a dvd they are all vobs. (or am i uninformed here re file formats?) Are you then saying that as vob files there is now no menu as there was in the original video? In which case i could get the subtitles off cyber then how would i attach them when i convert from vob to avi?

Thank you for your patience

4. attar

attar Senior member

Assuming the folder contains all the files from the movie, and the movie had a menu - then the menu is still present.

If you convert the movie files to AVI format, you would not get the menu - you simply get the main movie - there is no provision for adding DVD menus to AVI containers.
    (there is a program - TMPGenc DVD Author - which will create a menu - it's called UltraDivX - but it will not use the original DVD menu and requires a standalone player that is Ultra-DivX certified).

You can use AGK to convert the movie to AVI format.
    It has an option to select the subtitles and hard code them to the video.

Here is a link.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_to_avi_using_autogk.cfm

5. Genesess

Genesess Member

Is there any other format then that will include the menu? Other than avi?

6. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know of one.
    If you don't come up with anything at Afterdawn, try posting at the VideoHelp site.

http://forum.videohelp.com/