1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversion Issues

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by joefuf, Jun 12, 2009.

1. joefuf

joefuf Member

Hey guys,

I've been using WinAvi since forever. I usually need to convert a bunch of AVI's to VOB to burn on a DVD which has hardly ever had an issue - until now. I can convert one AVI no issue, but then do the file right from the same download and the audio won't come out. Everything else seems flawless.

I did a little inspecting and the one that works fine lists its details as follows:

Data Rate: 146kbps
    Total Bitrate:148kbps
    Audio Bitrate: 148kbps

And the other (the one without audio after conversion):

Data Rate: 18kbps
    Total Bitrate:146kbps
    Audio Bitrate: 128kbps

They are both AVI's and play in WMP easily.

I have installed the latest DivX files, FFDShow pack, K-Lite Pack, and CCCP pack. Still nothing seems to do it. I am using WinAvi 8 and am running Vista SP1 32-Bit.

Any help?

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Try saving it to a new avi in virtualdub.
    Set virtualdub to audio and video directstream copy.

Use the new avi in the conversion.

3. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

I know that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', but 148kbps source?..How does it look when converting to mpeg2?..Just curious..
    Anyway, you could do the same with AviDemux as you can with VD and save a new avi to import in Winavi..Or you can use it to convert to mpg..
    Maybe try a different conversion app, like DVDflick, AVStoDVD, ConvertxtoDVD, etc..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  4. joefuf

joefuf Member

After conversion it looks fine still. That's why I loved WinAvi - it always had the quality I needed to still enjoy a video in a mediocre program.

Thanks both of you for your ideas - I will try them when I get home, but is there an obvious issue here that I am overlooking? I took these videos to another computer and they converted fine (Windows XP) but my Vista seems to be the one with issues.

5. joefuf

joefuf Member

AVStoDVD and DVDFlick would do the trick, except they convert the files to a DVD that's way too big to fit on one DVD. I can shrink them easily with DVDShrink, but I liked the one two step process of converting with WinAvi and burning.

Any other programs that convert to a "compressed" (not even sure if that's what WinAvi does) final product that will fit on one disc?

6. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Well, what are you converting the AVI to, with winavi?...What's the output format?

7. joefuf

joefuf Member

Yeah I'm going AVI to DVD (which is VOB in the end). It has always worked before, but I know there's a better program out there. I found WinAvi when I was a beginner with all this stuff and I just never moved beyond it, but mainly I use it to convert multiple TV episodes to DVD (fitting 10 or 12 on a DVD) with WinAvi. With what has been suggested so far I can only get around five or six. And even when I went over with WinAvi I could just shrink it with DVDShrink and be ok.