1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ConvertXtoDVD quality problem

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by team59, Jun 15, 2009.

1. team59

team59 Member

I have been using ConvertXtoDVD to convert AVI files into a DVD format, then burn it to a disc using Nero. Things have been great until recently the guy who uploaded the files changing his way of ripping his DVD. So when I downloaded those AVI files, things seems to be the same. But after I converted it using ConvertX, then burned them into a disc. The quality was bad. The screen was kind na blurry (I would say) or had a small/quick flash every 2 seconds or when the movie changing the scene.

Can someone please suggest what I need to do the fix this? I tried a different brand of the DVD-R and it still does the same. I figured that it must be the way the guy ripped his DVD, but I have no way of changing him. I have been using ConvertX with the excellent quality until this problem occurs. Please help with any suggestion. Thank you so much!

2. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

What is the video bitrate of the source AVIs?..Remember , trash in trash out..Use the high quality setting or encode using a custom size....IIRC, CXD3 uses 1-pass encodes by default, but it can be set to 2-pass encoding via the registry...What I do sometimes with CXD3 is use DVD-9 size encodes, this will usually create an acceptable quality file..For some reason CXD3 fails to encode using the highest bitrate(s), and thus, creating an undersize file..

3. xxtavexx

xxtavexx Guest

This doesnt answer your question, but just to let you know, Convertxtodvd can convert and burn
    so, have you tried that? if so, is it still blurry, and does it still flicker?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2009
  4. team59

team59 Member

xxtavexx - yes, I have been using the software and it worked fine, both converting and burning, the problem just happened when the guy changed his way of ripping the DVD file.

And thank you so much kOOka. But excuse my poor skill, what is the bitrate? How do I find that? Did you mean the size of the file (512.04 MB)? I see what you said now. I will change the setting to high quality encoding in the setting. Hope this helps.

What difference is it gonna make if I choose the DVD9 instead of the DVD5? Will it produce a better quality?

Really appreciate it.

5. team59

team59 Member

xxtavexx - yes, I have been using the software and it worked fine, both converting and burning, the problem just happened when the guy changed his way of ripping the DVD file.

And thank you so much kOOka. But excuse my poor skill, what is the bitrate? How do I find that? Did you mean the size of the file (512.04 MB)? I see what you said now. I will change the setting to high quality encoding in the setting. Hope this helps.

What difference is it gonna make if I choose the DVD9 instead of the DVD5? Will it produce a better quality?

Really appreciate it.

6. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Install Gspot and it will show the the video/audio specs of your file(s)..Take note of the video bitrate (kbps) used to encode it..
    The lower the kbps the lower the quality will be..But remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what's acceptable in your eyes may look like s**t to others..
    I find that when using CXD3, when converting a lower quality video (800-900kpbs) if I convert and use the DVD-9 size output, it'll use a higher bitrate to encode..While this should create DVD-9 filesize, I find that most of the time it doesn't..Not sure why CXD3 doesn't utilize all the full disc(even with 2-pass), but it fails to none the less..
    I'm not suggesting that using a higher bitrate on the low quality video will get you a better quality then the source file, b/c it won't..You can't replace what's already lost...But what you want to do is preserve as much of it as possible..Hope this helps..

7. team59

team59 Member

Thank you kOOka. I installed the Gspot and the bitrate of the files that I am having trouble with are 1500 kbps, while the other files (that were perfect) are around 1535. I wonder if the difference of 35 kbps will make the quality to be that much different.

By the way, I have tried to only convert 2 files to fit 1 disc (normally it can do up to 4 files with the excellent quality). But it looks like it still making the same problem (I converted it but have not burned into a disc yet. I watch quickly through VLC and it looks like the problem is still there). I will try to choose the option of DVD-9 to see if this will help.

Finally, there was one guy who posted this in the forum that I download : "I used Sonic dvd burner for the avi files to dvd using the burn as data disc option. playback is problem-free" I wonder what exactly Sonic dvd burner he was talking about, and if I should just try to do this option instead. I mean ConvertX is great, somehow it's just these files that are problems

Thank you again k00ka

8. MysticE

MysticE Active member

CXD has a rather unique way of encoding, enabling 2 pass encoding in CXD does not improve picture quality. The encoder 'Quality' settings are actually quality 'profiles'.

It doesn't fill the disc because it's not necessary. There is only so much that can be done with quality compromised Xvids. CXD is very good at figuring out what is needed, bitrate wise, to max quality not fill the disc.

To the OP you can try another app and see if it suits your needs better. Try AVStoDVD (free), use Lanczos resize and the included HCenc (a superior encoder). Here things are operating in a traditional manner, a 2 pass encode will strive to fill the disc. With longer total run times (3+ hours) the end result should be better. Do note your project will take much longer to complete.

9. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Yes, I know that..And b/c it does such a poor job(IMO) at using a higher bitrate as you can with say AVStoDVD or FAVC, it'll never achieve a good/slightly better quality, even with lower quality source(s)..And yes there's only so much you can do with "compromised" lower quality video..

If it was good at figuring it out, then it would strive to operate "in a traditional manner", and a 2 pass encode would strive to fill the disc..

Agreed, I use 2-pass encodes and I see no improvements, as I stated above..And BTW, I also prefer AVStoDVD or FAVC with HCenc...

Cheers, T

10. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Hey MysticE, always a pleasure..I've been reading this thread and I'm going to run some conversions using the 'Medium Quality(Recommended) encodes, see how CXD3 does...
    I rather enjoyed the developer's comments...Cooool!..

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic367624-30.html

Cheers, T

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

What has crippled CXD has been it's emphasis to placate the noobs 'need for speed'. Going to the slower Lanczos instead of the faster Fast bilinear resampler will yield a sharper image.

CXD does very well at higher bitrates as do many encoders, even the long ago abandoned QuEnc. If you let AVStoDVD make the encoding choices you'll note MrC has set some parameters on when HCenc 2 pass is really necessary. At about 90 minutes AVStoDVD's defaults will use one pass QuEnc CBR.

For me CXD's main strength is it's ability to handle sources that others choke on with no codec fiddling, plus I really like it's latest video resize (crop/pad) methods.

Have a good one.

12. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Well, so much for the recommended 'Medium Quality' encodes...
    ~1,400 kbps source file yields ~3,200 kbps(2.72G) file...Guess If I want higher bitrates and better quality encodes I'll stick to HCenc..
    And for the quickie(noob's need for speed) encodes CXD3 is the one..

Cheers,T......

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's all well and good, but how did it look? Did you check any static and then action scenes? Did you try any screenshot comparisons? Medium is recommended when a High encoded source fills the disc to more that 95% capacity, or for extremely long runtimes.