1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I received a warning "copyright" infringment letter..

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by goon_man, Jun 20, 2009.

1. goon_man

goon_man Member

I have received a letter from my ISP saying that they have been notified by FOX, that i have D/L'd or shared copyrighted material by them. With the letter came attached a copy of what FOX entertainment has sent as well.

Basically the Twentieth Century FOX letter stated that a certain file name was downloaded/shared via my IP address on a given date, when I have not even D/L such a file.

WTF is going on, am I going to be sued, ISP termination, WTF is going on?

2. Reider

Reider Guest

Thats weird. I had a friend that while d/loading a message popped up on the screen saying he had been spotted sharing illegal material and he was going to be sued. He just ignored it and kept on downloading. He hasn't heard from anybody since. I am thinking its a scam or possible hack attempt. Don't give out any information, obviously. Maybe lay low for a bit. But you are probably o.k.

Good Luck!!

3. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

The letter is real, i received a letter from my isp about a year ago because i downloaded the movie shooter. Pretty much paramount pictures was tracing the torrent and collected my ip address and transmission details. Then they sent a letter to my isp which was forwarded with the dcma violation letter.

You should be fine as long as that file isn't on your torrent client.

You can easily be nabbed now-a-days by downloading new movies. The newest one that's causing problems is the xmen origins workprint. So just be careful and you should be fine.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Take a picture of your middle finger held proudly erect.. and gather a link to Washington University DMCA false positive takedown experiments.. and email them both to your isp along with a threat to terminate your contract with them and go elsewhere.. Lets see how they like it.. call them liars.. and threaten them where it hurts.. in their pocket.

5. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Your ISP does not care if you cut off your service. When they do good they say it is because of the management, when they do bad they blame the economy...they never consider that the quality of service or the happiness of the customers might effect sales.

6. kborom

kborom Member

Could you scan the letter and put it up here? Not calling you at all but I have heard many people say they know people who have received letters but I still have yet to see one.

There have been a couple of high profile cases but I am convinced that they were set-up by the big companies as a scare tactic.

7. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Yes, there are civil trials...this means that the "victim" must initiate the process. Other than china, I have not seen many cases of the government stepping in with a criminal trial. They may be scare tactics, but the affects on those who are convicted are quite severe. Lately, these scare tactics seem to be targeted more at small-scale non-profit pirates than those who actualy might affect sales (the last big conviction was for someone who had shared just 30 mp3s!).

8. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

I'll scan mine.... let me find it

Can't find the originals but i knew i took some pics of them. They're 4.1mp pics so you can zoom in and read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  9. homesick

homesick Regular member

i got an e-mail from my isp about a year or 2 ago regarding this. and i was strictly running newsgroups.

10. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if i got a letter like that id probably see a lawyer for legal advice and to see if its real and not a hoax and if its real i'd terminate my isp and sign up with another company and hope it doesn't happen again.

11. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Why waist your money on a lawyer? Your ISP does not respect or want you...dump em!

12. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

It might be easy to say dump your ISP, but in reality who has 2 options for broadband cable in their town?? DSL not near as good and not available everywhere.

Question: If you download via someone's unsecured wireless network, can they determine if the download's coming to your machine? If not, then what is RIAA to do when cities provide free wireless.

13. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i live in australia and we dont have broadband cable we have dial up,ADSL & ADSL2 and we have hundreds(maybe thousands) of isp's you can go with.

14. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Many areas now have more than one high-speed internet option available, as Fios is spreading quickly. It is true that some complexes and buildings have anti-competative agreements with one company to keep all others out, but this is something that you should be concerned about on it's own.

If you truly have a geographic monopoly on your hands, why aren't you complaining about that?

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Because I'm happy with my ISP and what use does complaining really do????

16. pjbabbitt

pjbabbitt Member

Holy crap man, the same thing happened to me. I got Jumper and a couple of other movies and it was a letter from 20th century fox about how i could be fined up to $500,000 dollars or something like that lol.I still do it just not as much as i used to. It pretty much made my day.

17. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Most terrible monopolies start as seemingly nice companies with happy customers. However, once a monopoly is secured, quality goes down as prices go up. This is why you should be complaining. If your representatives in washington get enough phone calls about this issue, they will start to realize that it is an important issue, and they will consider it an issue that could affect their re-election.

These companies are on the verge of being to powerful to touch...we have to complain now, because complaing later will do nothing.

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Washington will help us-when pigs fly! They can't even help themselves.

19. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Yes they can...those guys get paid less than $50,000 a year, yet drive fancy cars, eat fine food, hire staff, and fly around in private jets. It is clear that they are helping themselves to much more than they should...no problem helping themselves.

While many political types don't have to worry about votes (Judges are appointed for life without any vote, presidents are appointed by their parties, and elected by rigged voting machines), many of the smaller offices are still elected positions. To stay in a position where they are offered countless bribes, they have to do things like introduce bills that people want. While it is unlikely that such bills will pass (no point in keeping the job if you are not going to earn the bribes), these bills do serve to keep these companies in check.

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Off with their heads

(it's a joke if this is being monitored by govt spies)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009