1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Splitting and managing large .ape files in 2009...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by robbinmco, Jun 21, 2009.

1. robbinmco

robbinmco Guest

I've found older post relating to dealing with large .ape files. I have acquired a few .ape files; they are said to be "lossless" or of high quality. How can I split them into flac or mp3 files? The ones I have are large; they contain the whole album to a file. Posts I have found are many years old; I would like some advice up-to-date. I'm still pointed to "medieval cue splitter" (listed under various other names) which manages .cue files only; but my ape files have no .cue files in their directory. What to do? A helpful response would be very appreciated. Running XP Pro still, not Vista, btw.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

That post was made only about 2 months ago. Ape is lossless; some modes produce a very compressed file. You need to make your own cue file. You will need to locate the album info before you can make the cue file.

A easy way to split the file would be to burn it to an audio disk then rip it. I have done that for rare disks which I couldn't find the album info for. I have a professional ripper that has a complete set of copyrighted CDs. Unfortunatly, you can't browse the info.

freedb will have the track names and time info needed to split the album.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

or you can use dBPowerAMP and convert the ape file to an uncompressed wave file. then use an audio editor to chop up the large file. I'm not familiar with the consumer level audio editors, i use Pro Tools which is a professional audio editing system, but i hear that audacity is a somewhat decent editor...i think its free.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Why would you convert them into flac? Ape has better compression than flac and anything I know of that plays flac plays ape.

Audacity is a good free wave editor. I doubt that it would compare well with a top of the line professional editor.

5. robbinmco

robbinmco Guest

Thanks, posters, for the freedb info and DBpowerAMP info. Once a .wav I can run it through my Sony Soundforge to split it up. (Audacity works but is slow; soundforge is quick and powerful.) To split up a dj mixed music file (mp3 or wav) into separate tracks, searchable by a cd player once burnt to a cd, I use Audio Surgeon. The finished cd will have NO audible gaps at the "flags" you set for track distinction.... I can't find a program besides that one to split a large file into several songs without leaving some annoying, audible gap, short as it may be. Running a .cue file through Nero you'll hear gaps, burning w/ Itunes leaves audible gaps on mixed split cd's too. It's an old program, but Audio Surgeon IMO is the best splitter for keeping gaps out when you don't want them. Next best thing to copying the original cd.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

What do you mean by
    Is this the between the tunes or somewhere that they shouldn't be?

I have neither software package so I have no clue at to what a flag is so I can't follow your description.

The cue file will specify the gaps (start and stop times for each tune). So the software is just following orders. If you want no gaps take out the time gaps in the cue file.